Teach me the Newfie Slang, I'm from "away"

Howdy St. John's!

I'm heading your way two weeks from now and I'm finalizing my stay. It's my very first tour of the city so I hope you can lend me a hand to make my trip a memorable one.

1) What are the best downtown hotels? Somewhere upscale, busy, and close to some lovely restaurants, please.

2) I've heard the Fjords are simply stunning...Are they fairly accessible by car from the city?

3) What weird and wonderful sites and sounds can you recommend?

Very much looking forward to meeting you fine, hospitable Newfies :)

xo,

-Madeleine

Guest JMcKenzie

Let me be the first to welcome you to our city! I suggest staying at the Delta hotel. It is downtown, has good discrete accessibility for "visitors" and is a short walk to lots of restaurants and shops.

As for fjords, well, the onyl true fjords (at least I thnk so) are about a 10 hour drive away. :) but, there are plenty of amazinng sights to see without having to drive very far or even leave St. John's.

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, I've heard the Delta is the best option. And unfortunately it sounds like the fiords are meant for visit #2.

Are there any restaurants that I simply must visit? If only a lovely gentleman would give me a first hand tour...

Bisous,

-Madeleine

I agree, the Delta is your best hotel choice, followed by the Sheraton.

Many great restaurants to choose from. I love Bacalao on Lemarchant. Great food. Their Salt cod Fritters are wonderful, as is their seafood risotto. And the caribou medallions are fabulous.

Raymonds on Water Street is an excellent restaurant ... EnRoute Magazine ranked it one of the best restaurants in Canada. For indian I highly recommend India Gate, or Shalimar ... both on duckworth street downtown.

Lots of great pubs as well. Sharmrock City, just steps from the Delta has live music every night, and Yellowbelly has amazing beer (brewed on premises) and fabulous food. Their Lobster hash on their weekend brunch is simply divine. As are their Crabcake Eggs Benedict. they also do fabulous mussels, burgers, etc.

Gracie Joes in Quidi Vidi is also very nice And of course, there are more pubs and bars along George Street than any other block in the country.

and of course for sights ... Signal Hill is a must, and if you have transportation Cape Spear is not far away. The most easterly point in the country. And simply breathtaking.

Boat trip whale watching and iceberg hunting is also time well spent. You can book the Iceberg quest trip right from Shamrock city pub.

Enjoy your visit. I'm a huge fan of St. John's, and would, if I could, spend the rest of my life here.

Porthos

Best Sushi in town is Sun Sushi on Duckworth. They deliver to Delta too ;)

Enjoy St. John's it's awesome! Eh Buy

Guest a**4*

You will enjoy this N.F.L.D great people they will love you lots to see and enjoy

You went above and beyond- Thank you!

I have a feeling renting a car is my best bet for this trip, yes? Seems like the best things are a little off the beaten path.

You're the third person to recommend Quidi Vidi ($10 tour and you leave sloshed at 1pm? Sign me up...).

Stay tuned for my adventures!

xo

Unless you are planning to explore beyond St. John's I wouldn't bother renting a car. The downtown core is quite compact, and an easy walk (2 minutes) from the Delta or Sheraton. Signal Hill and Quidi Vidi are only a short cab ride.

If you want to explore the Island, renting a car is a must.

Porthos

One of the most highly rated restaurants in Canada is in St John's "Raymonds" On water street.

Other places to try which are also highly reviewed are Blue on Water, Aqua, Biancas, Annexe - New and very good food 2 minute walk from the Delta.

There are many sights to see including Signal hill, Cape Spear, Quidi Vidi Village and of course the down town core. There is much more to see, but It's hard to list it all.

Enjoy your trip!