Best articles of the year (according to CERB)

This is a thread to recommend the most thought-provoking, expressive articles you've read in the past year (or so). Any topic is open, as is any forum from which the article can be pulled (blog, news magazine, etc.). The only restriction is that other CERBites must have access to the article from your post -- so don't forget the link!

You can discuss the articles recommended, or recommend your own.

Most of us don't have time to read every article, so it would be a great idea to limit it to one article per post, and give a brief synopsis of the article and it's argument, as well as why you found it worth recommending. That way other cerbites can decide which articles really appeal to them.

So to start things off, here is my first recommendation:

Inside the Political Brain, from The Atlantic

Except:

"When lots of individuals blow holes in one another's claims and arguments, the reasoning of the group should be better than the reasoning of the individual. But at the same time, the individual -- or the individual in a self-affirming group that does not provide adequate challenges -- is capable of going very wrong, because of motivated reasoning and confirmation bias. Thanks to these flaws, the sole reasoner rarely sees what's wrong with his or her logic."

My reason for choosing it:

I've always been wary of finding myself in a mutually affirming snuggle-fest. I think it's very easy to get stuck in an intellectual rut, or to miss gaping holes in your own logic. For this reason I really like to challenge ideas, both mine and those of my friends. As you can imagine, this can lead to a world of trouble (I've had many lessons in tact in my life) but I still think it's worthwhile. I think affirmation can be a great thing when it's needed. But I think to get the most out of life (or at least the most out of your own brain) you need to keep you own side of the debate accountable by talking regularly and honestly with those who disagree with you.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others will share.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

An excellent idea for a thread! Nothing springs to mind right now, but I'll certainly post stuff as and when I stumble across it...

Guest dame*****n09*

This will be tough. The Internet is a feast of excellent long-form journalism, essays and arguments.

I can't swear this is the best article I read this year (and I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions) but it is definitely top ten, and the one that comes most readily to mind this morning:

The Epidemic of Mental Illness: Why?

The reason why I love the post so much is because I'm one of those women. I'm an able-bodied, white, cisgender women who is attractive, has class and educational privilege.

That you are!!!

Slightly off thread - a book not an article, but try Honey Money: the Power of Erotic Capital, by Catherine Hakim from University of London (UK). She rather attacks the "classical" feminist world view as well as providing an interesting, well researched chapter on the topic from sex workers perspective.

CB

• Like 2

I've bookmarked this site. It's not actually an article but I found the short anecdotes really interesting. I'm going to put my recommendation behind it, as well. It also has the advantage of being quick reading among the much longer and more in depth articles and blog posts being mentioned.

http://makesmethink.com/

this site is a nice twist on the FML site which is sometimes good for a couple of giggles, whereas this one actually makes me feel more connected with my emotions (when I want or need to be).

This is one of the better things I've read on this. The author is a Mormon, has always known he was gay, and nevertheless married his (female) best friend and had three kids with her.

http://www.joshweed.com/2012/06/club-unicorn-in-which-i-come-out-of.html

Quite long, by Internet standards, but well worth a read.