What we didn't know about Penis Anatomy -- Diane Kelly

Must say, though, the part about sectioning and examining an erect member (even if non-human) left me squirming a bit!

Porthos

Ah, but so much for my sexy dreams in which penises can wiggle like long tongues! I've woken up in many a puddle over that one!

Guest W***ledi*Time
It does.

Based on my layman's understanding of the general principles of fetal development, I'd think it very likely. But there are differences between the male and female organs, such as placement of the urethra. I'm wondering if similarity in the collagen structure in particular has actually been documented?

I don't think the level of detail you are looking for is known. You will find that the clit is not studied in quite the same detail as the penis. Your laymens understanding is correct however, the penis and clit are the same tissue developmentally (embryologically) The histology ( microscopic anatomy) is the same. They respond the same way to drugs, the mechanism of erection is the same, and there are even cases of female priapism documented. The differences are in the gross anatomy, as you have stated size, urethra etc. At some point however the anatomy has to differ, because in the end the clit isn't actually a penis and they arent designed to do quite the same thing. The main difference is the penis needs to transport sperm a distance. There fore length ( at least a little, ha ha ha ) is required, but diameter is equally important. Stiffness is a function of the 4th power of radius, stiffness is required to resist bending moments, for penetration, another important demand of the penis not required of the clit. This is where the orthogonal array of collagen is most important. Allowing lateral ( width) erection as well as length. This may very well be where the differences between penii and clits diverge. My money would be that it is in fact similar if not in fact the same though. Have to remember we are all female by default. It is only the presence of testosterone and the sensitivity of cells to it that creates a penis out of the same embryo logical material as the clit.

For a good clit article, check out anatomy of the clit, journal of urology , 2005 by o'connell te al.

[[/i]

Based on my layman's understanding of the general principles of fetal development, I'd think it very likely. But there are differences between the male and female organs, such as placement of the urethra. I'm wondering if similarity in the collagen structure in particular has actually been documented?

Such a cerebral crowd in this thread, I'm impressed! However all I 'm capable of offering is basic lockerroomism theory where "the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat"......

• Like 2

The nice thing about cerb is the mix of participants. It's nice to have a common interest in all things sexual, yet from many different angles (of the dangle?...sure, why not). I like the practical as much as the cerebral. Trust me , strictly cerebral...BORING! Strictly locker room ....missing out on a lot too.

Such a cerebral crowd in this thread, I'm impressed! However all I 'm capable of offering is basic lockerroomism theory where "the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat"......