St. Lawrence River Temperature

So I decided to go for a little swim in the river today, on an off day from work, and well the best way to describe it would be refreshing....refreshingly cold that is. If I had a camera with me I could have probably posted a picture of my nipple in the fripple thread, lol. And I wouldn't even need to photo shop it to get it too show up a nice shade of blue, lol.

Anyway, the real reason I posted this thread is I found an american website that gives the water temp of the river and the great lakes.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=alxn6

You can use the map to change the location to the one you want to check out. It also does the water temp of a number of other lakes and rivers in the states as well, but unfortunately not Canada. Still looking for a good site for that. Anyway, it's worth a look for those curious on water temp. And FYI the river was 16.7 C (62.1 F)

• Like 2

The St. Lawrence, I recall times in my youth of swimming in it. No matter what time of the swimming season, one always had the shrink factor and rock hard nipples. It is a cold body of water. It was murky then but now it is very clear from the zebra muscles.

I'd be lying if I failed to state there was a definite shrink factor, lol, but usually by July it's actually not to bad to swim in. At least it should hopefully be in the 70's. Some summers it's actually been quiet warm. Definitely seemed shallower though than other years, probably due to lack of rain. And as bad as the zebra muscles are to stand on the water is crystal clear.

Try swimming in the waters of Newfoundland. Circulation to any limb put in the water stops almost immediately!

Porthos

lol, okay I have to admit that the river is better than the ocean around Newfoundland for swimming. But the day I see icebergs floating down the river is the day I move further south ;)

lol, okay I have to admit that the river is better than the ocean around Newfoundland for swimming. But the day I see icebergs floating down the river is the day I move further south ;)

Iceberg floated into the cove where we live this spring. You could feel the air temperature drop!!! Probably about 5 degrees. Given it's Mid June and i'm sitting here wearing a fleece and yesterday had a toque on during a final hike, you don't need anything making it colder.

Porthos

Iceberg floated into the cove where we live this spring. You could feel the air temperature drop!!! Probably about 5 degrees. Given it's Mid June and i'm sitting here wearing a fleece and yesterday had a toque on during a final hike, you don't need anything making it colder.

Porthos

As much as I despise the cold, I will admit that it would be really neat to watch the icebergs floating by on the rock. I've always heard great things about Newfoundland and maybe I'll have to make a trip out there sometime.