Chocolate, gummies and trans fat, Oh my.

Why is everything that tastes good so bad for you? I have been trying to eat well off and on for about a year and a half. I have my spurts of doing really really well and then bam I'm having a big old double cheese burger. I think I'm in love with trans fat, sugar and anything else that is a nay nay for the body. What is one to do when they have a secret love affair with beef, gummies and chocolate? It's not like I don't try hard. I bought the eat clean diet book. I have made some of the recipes from there. They just are not for me. Is it the food I'm cooking or is it the addiction to the sugary foods and trans fat? I have been thing of doing a detox. Has anyone done detoxing and does it help? What are some good cook books for good healthy eating? I think it's by time I break up with sugar and trans fat, help out a girl in need,lol.

Guest ****someS**l

Peachy:

My name is LonesomeSoul and I'm a chocoholic. LOL Unfortunately, I'm also a diabetic. Trans fats, processed foods and saturated fats are so much in our faces. My main books for healthy eating are from the Canadian Diabetes Association and from Heart and Stroke Foundation. That said, I, like you, fall off the wagon. I have a "fat burger" once in a while as I do chip wagon fries, beer and wine, ice cream, but all very much in moderation. I'm afraid I don't know much about the detoxification process though, but I would do some serious homework on it before undertaking it. Personally, I don't see any evidence of you needing to undertake anything so drastic. Just try to eat properly/healthy as best you can taking in lots of colourful fruits and veggies, some fish, lean meats, whole grains, etc. avoiding processed foods. We are only human and are entitled to our treats once in a while...anything in moderation as it goes. I usually eat several vegetarian meals a week as well. I'd be hesitant to go the detox route being diabetic as fasting is involved. This may be of assistance to you as a place to start your research. http://www.healthyalberta.com/HealthyEating/949.htm

I never thought about Diabetic cook books but why not. They might have some good recipies in them. Thank you for this link on detoxing. I never tryed it myself. It seems like a trend. I'm up for trying things that are good for the body. It seems like there is nothing backing these detoxes up. Thanks L.S. I'll have to check these cook books out. Healthy can be yummy too.

I also have a love affair with trans fat, sweets, and don't even get me started on hamburgers, lol. But like you I've been trying hard to eat more healthy. The hardest part for me though is getting around the taste part cause I just find in a lot of cases when the fat goes so does the taste. I have found a couple of substitutes that work fairly well though, like ground turkey instead of beef in chilli. Or when you just have to have chocolate try the dark stuff, like the 70% coco chocolate. I've also been trying to eat more fish, which if your anything like me is a challenge. I have found though that smoked trout is amazing. I haven't tried veggie burgers but I have heard that there are some that some are almost like the real thing. For snacking on try unsalted roasted almonds, or frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I have also tried a few recipes from the diabetic cook book and some of them are really good, one of my favourites is the pasta sauce, although I have to admit that I usually sneak in some extra chili flakes to heat it up a bit, lol. Hope some of those suggestions prove helpful :)

Guest ****someS**l
I never thought about Diabetic cook books but why not. They might have some good recipies in them. Thank you for this link on detoxing. I never tryed it myself. It seems like a trend. I'm up for trying things that are good for the body. It seems like there is nothing backing these detoxes up. Thanks L.S. I'll have to check these cook books out. Healthy can be yummy too.

Bonnie Stern's cookbooks with the Heart and Stroke Foundation are excellent, nutritious and taste good too. Comfort Foods for Diabetics is another good one as well Peachy. Go to the Canadian Diabetes Assoc. website and to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada website for books etc. You can't go wrong with them. Even if you try something out a few times a week to start off with you will not feel as though you're depriving yourself. Take care.