Halloween and we readers ...

Sophia V's post "One SPOOKY october morning!" (especially the link she has put to the reading of Poe's Raven) and Peachy's bookclub thead inspires this thread. In Octobober, leading up to and including Halloween, i tend to watch a little more scary movies or shows, or read "horror" stories.

Poe is great to read, but also H.P.Lovecraft, and Brian Lumley, among others.

I seem to often go back to Lovecraft (i've re-read the stories many times since i was a kid), as his stories build a long standing mythos used by many authors and storytellers of the genre. You can find here a

of what he created.

So, for the readers of CERB who like the Horror Genre, what are you fave stories. You can post titles, or even links to readings.

Stephen King's written stuff is often at the top of my list (movies and TV based on his work usually falls completely flat). Especially his epics like The Stand and It. Green Mile and Cell were brilliant shorter works (and Green Mile is one of my favourite movies ever). If you're looking for some nice genre stuff with a load of humour, Christopher Moore is your man.

Stephen King's written stuff is often at the top of my list (movies and TV based on his work usually falls completely flat). Especially his epics like The Stand and It. Green Mile and Cell were brilliant shorter works (and Green Mile is one of my favourite movies ever). If you're looking for some nice genre stuff with a load of humour, Christopher Moore is your man.

Thanks for the ideas. I have read some of King's works a few years ago. Most of the books i liked at the time were ones he had written under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman (such as running man and the long walk). I had tried reading The Stand then, but never stuck to the story somehow. I'll have to revisit.

Christopher Moore i have heard good things about, and he is on my list to look at.

I found that more and more women authors write in the genre - Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton come to mind. Sirens, a collection of short stories, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling is another i enjoyed reading.

There are many authors to sift through in this type of fiction, but few, i find, have novel approaches to the ideas.

I agree, I love love love my Halloween horror movies! I can skip by almost every horror film....till October hits! Then BAM...I am finding myself searching threw the guide for the one I have yet to see.

The Raven has always sent shivers down my back! The cadence of the words when read aloud really gives this poem the momentum. Something to be said about the romance and spookiness behind this poem that makes me return to year after year. All of Poe's works like the Pit and the pendulum is another that captures me durring October.

I'll have to dig out my Edgar Allan Poe book and rediscover it.

I've gotten two books, in keeping with my october reading. "The Weird", a compendium of dark and strange stories, ranging form stories written in 1908 (The Other Side, by Alfred Kubin) to today, including stories by Neil Gaiman, William Gibson, and Georges RR Martin.

Second anthology i got is "The Trackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities".

It's going to be interesting reads.