I am planning to visit New York this year as a tourist (not for work)

I've never been in that area and it can be pretty scary if you don't know anything or anybody.

I have always wanted to see Montreal, so I might include that as well if it is not too much of a hassle.

I am basically interested in ANY tips as far as plane tickets, hotels or tourist attractions are concerned.

I know that accommodation in New York is very expensive, but I would rather pay a little more than sit in a depressing or unclean room. Obviously, the area is important. I don't want to end up in a bad neighbourhood.

I have checked CL, and there are a few good private apartment offers, but I don't know if I can trust them??

I am looking at the map. The distance between Montreal and New York is about 600 km, so that would not be such a big deal, but I don't think I would want to drive in New York, so I would have to find another way, like the bus, train or airplane. Any suggestions?

I don't speak French, but it is always refreshing to be in a place where you don't understand the language and are not bombarded by advertising :) I hope I can get away with speaking English.

I would appreciate any input.

I have stayed several times in Secaucus which is on the Jersey side near the Meadowlands. If you pick the right hotel they frequently have buses etc, that take you right into Manhattan, or by train to Port Authority. The transit is very good to Jersey from the city. A little bit of planning on the scheduling and you get a cheaper, but high end hotel, out of the city, but have access to everything you want to see.

My favorite city in the world....anything you want to know just ask me. I know Manhattan BETTER THEN Halifax. I have spent anywhere from one month to 6.

As for best areas to stay that depends on what your price limit is. I have stayed in nice hotels there but mostly have sublette. You can start with for sub-lets and usually from there you can find a broker who specializes in temp sub-lets. Or the cheaper route is to just find it yourself. I have never had any trouble finding a place.

Places to see...that also depends on if your looking for the usual tourist stuff or the real NYC. I love Time Square at night...there are so many lights the birds think its daytime...i love the village both east and west anytime of the day or night. Midtown is great too.

I could go on and on and on....:-P

kisses,

Emma A

Last summer I stayed for 2 weeks at the Radisson hotel in the theatre district of Manhattan. You can book cheaper hotels by doing it online rather then with the hotel. I really didn?t leave Manhattan except one short tour threw New Jersey.

I don?t like to drive in unknown places so I took the greyhound bus all threw New York state and I must say it was a bit scary, definitely not the same standards as Canada.

Once in Manhattan the people are very friendly there and will help you with tips. Just do web searches and find info before you go.

I have stayed several times in Secaucus which is on the Jersey side near the Meadowlands. If you pick the right hotel they frequently have buses etc, that take you right into Manhattan, or by train to Port Authority. The transit is very good to Jersey from the city. A little bit of planning on the scheduling and you get a cheaper, but high end hotel, out of the city, but have access to everything you want to see.

Thanks, I like the idea :) . I will look into it. Do you remember the name of any of the hotels?

My favorite city in the world....anything you want to know just ask me. I know Manhattan BETTER THEN Halifax. I have spent anywhere from one month to 6.

As for best areas to stay that depends on what your price limit is. I have stayed in nice hotels there but mostly have sublette. You can start with for sub-lets and usually from there you can find a broker who specializes in temp sub-lets. Or the cheaper route is to just find it yourself. I have never had any trouble finding a place.

Places to see...that also depends on if your looking for the usual tourist stuff or the real NYC. I love Time Square at night...there are so many lights the birds think its daytime...i love the village both east and west anytime of the day or night. Midtown is great too.

I could go on and on and on....:-P

kisses,

Emma A

Thanks Emma, we seem to have something in common. Although I've never been there I've always been fascinated by New York.

Because this is my first time I will have to see all the touristy places, like Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Museum, Empire State Building, etc., but what I like is to get the feeling of a city by just wondering around and watching how people live, checking out the small restaurants and shops, book stores, etc.

I love getting lost in a place and just enjoy the atmosphere, but that might be dangerous in New York. I really don't want to get mugged, so I should know which areas are safe for naive, unsuspecting tourists :)

Other than that, I am open to almost any suggestion. Not too much into theater or things like that, but I like art and history and everything that is interesting. Maybe something like Little Italy or Chihatown, or anything where I can wonder around and soak in the impressions.

I am fascinated by everything huge, so just to look at the buildings will make me happy:) I visited Hong Kong 2 years ago and couldn't get enough of them.

Of course, I would appreciate any shopping tips.

Last summer I stayed for 2 weeks at the Radisson hotel in the theatre district of Manhattan. You can book cheaper hotels by doing it online rather then with the hotel. I really didn’t leave Manhattan except one short tour threw New Jersey.

I don’t like to drive in unknown places so I took the greyhound bus all threw New York state and I must say it was a bit scary, definitely not the same standards as Canada.

Once in Manhattan the people are very friendly there and will help you with tips. Just do web searches and find info before you go.

Thanks Brandi, I will definitely check out the Radisson. I am not asking how much it was, I assume it depends on the season and the room itself....

I am not crazy about greyhound. Never used it, but I hate the idea of being in a confined place with people who might be rude or smelly LOL

Anybody knows how safe is the subway?

And is there a train I could take from New York to Montreal?

Thanks again, I am looking forward to going. I had been putting this off so many times. This year I have to go, unless something comes up. :)

The thing i love most about NYC is the atmosphere there...the vibe of the city is addictive for sure.

Some of my favorite things to do: sitting outside at the restaurants and people watching....

favorite areas to do so are Union Square and the village.

i also love books stores and the my favorite book store is Strand they sell both old and new books...

I love shopping on 34Th and 5Th the shoppes there have great prices and don't forget to check out Baker shoes right on the corner by the Duane Reade..and you can't forget to shop in china town for knockoff purses...hehe...little Italy is just next door for some fab restaurants...

I love art too so you have to go to the moma...for sure...

Tall buildings...midtown and the financial district....you can get lost just looking up.

As for safety like anywhere you just have to know where not to go. I feel very very safe in NYC and have walked alone many times at night...there are police and military everywhere and most everyone is friendly....

I remember my first time working there..i was in awe...thinking here i am a little country bumpkin from Cape Breton living in NYC..it was the best feeling in the world.

kisses,

Emma A

Thanks Emma, we seem to have something in common. Although I've never been there I've always been fascinated by New York.

Because this is my first time I will have to see all the touristy places, like Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Museum, Empire State Building, etc., but what I like is to get the feeling of a city by just wondering around and watching how people live, checking out the small restaurants and shops, book stores, etc.

I love getting lost in a place and just enjoy the atmosphere, but that might be dangerous in New York. I really don't want to get mugged, so I should know which areas are safe for naive, unsuspecting tourists :)

Other than that, I am open to almost any suggestion. Not too much into theater or things like that, but I like art and history and everything that is interesting. Maybe something like Little Italy or Chihatown, or anything where I can wonder around and soak in the impressions.

I am fascinated by everything huge, so just to look at the buildings will make me happy:) I visited Hong Kong 2 years ago and couldn't get enough of them.

Of course, I would appreciate any shopping tips.

I'm born and raised in Montreal and there are plenty of downtown hotels depending on time of the year. If you don't have a car then I suggest you stay in the downtown core preferably near Old Montreal. I have used Hotwire.com for all my travels with great success. The prices are reasonable for air car and hotels. I find they are cheaper than Expedia or others like it. Getting to Montreal from NY by train may more expensive than a flight so check out both. Basically a little more than hour by plane and you can find a host of airlines to suit your arrival time. If you take the train you risk arriving after midnight which is not really a problem since Montreal is fairly safe city but if you can avoid it then do so. If you have any specific dates I can let you know via PM if it's a busy time or not. We have an incredible Jazz Festival at the end of July which lasts 2 weeks in the streets of downtown Montreal. It always an incredible party every night. I hope this helps.

The Hun

The thing i love most about NYC is the atmosphere there...the vibe of the city is addictive for sure.

Some of my favorite things to do: sitting outside at the restaurants and people watching....

favorite areas to do so are Union Square and the village.

i also love books stores and the my favorite book store is Strand they sell both old and new books...

I love shopping on 34Th and 5Th the shoppes there have great prices and don't forget to check out Baker shoes right on the corner by the Duane Reade..and you can't forget to shop in china town for knockoff purses...hehe...little Italy is just next door for some fab restaurants...

I love art too so you have to go to the moma...for sure...

Tall buildings...midtown and the financial district....you can get lost just looking up.

As for safety like anywhere you just have to know where not to go. I feel very very safe in NYC and have walked alone many times at night...there are police and military everywhere and most everyone is friendly....

I remember my first time working there..i was in awe...thinking here i am a little country bumpkin from Cape Breton living in NYC..it was the best feeling in the world.

kisses,

Emma A

Thanks Emma, it is very nice of you! I feel like moving there :)

There was one Amtrak Train Daily from Montreal to New York. I beleive it leaves around the supper hour.

That would mean I'd arrive in a foreign city where I don't speak the language after midnight..... Might not be the best idea.

Maybe I should just rent a car and ruin myself financially ;)

I'm born and raised in Montreal and there are plenty of downtown hotels depending on time of the year. If you don't have a car then I suggest you stay in the downtown core preferably near Old Montreal. I have used Hotwire.com for all my travels with great success. The prices are reasonable for air car and hotels. I find they are cheaper than Expedia or others like it. Getting to Montreal from NY by train may more expensive than a flight so check out both. Basically a little more than hour by plane and you can find a host of airlines to suit your arrival time. If you take the train you risk arriving after midnight which is not really a problem since Montreal is fairly safe city but if you can avoid it then do so. If you have any specific dates I can let you know via PM if it's a busy time or not. We have an incredible Jazz Festival at the end of July which lasts 2 weeks in the streets of downtown Montreal. It always an incredible party every night. I hope this helps.

The Hun

Thanks Attila,

Thanks for the tips, I will try to make at at the end of July. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Could you tell me what is a reasonable price for a one way air ticket from NY to Montreal and from Montreal to Vancouver? I would have to buy last minute, because I don't think I can co-ordinate the dates before I leave home.

Can I get along with English or should I learn a little French?

On one hand it would be nice to be able to communicate a little, on the other understanding signs like "No Loitering, Violators Will Be Prosecuted" could spoil my mood LOL

Maybe I am just lazy.... ;)

Anita,

New York is a great city, one of my favorites. As mentioned by Emma a lot of great places to see. China Town, Canal Street (great deals on stuff), Central Park, Little Italy, Museum of Modern Art, Financial District, Time Square. It's just an awesome city, always alive and always moving, the vibe just rushes through you. If you can't feel it there you're just not alive.

As for Montreal, most people are bilingual and you should have no problems. Just say Bonjour (hello) Merci (thank-you) and say you don't speak any French and all will be good. Montreal is another great city, lived there for five years.

If time is not an issue for you to travel to New York, try taking the train. A year ago they were charging $65 one way, Montreal to New York, great deal.

Have fun!

Anita,

New York is a great city, one of my favorites. As mentioned by Emma a lot of great places to see. China Town, Canal Street (great deals on stuff), Central Park, Little Italy, Museum of Modern Art, Financial District, Time Square. It's just an awesome city, always alive and always moving, the vibe just rushes through you. If you can't feel it there you're just not alive.

As for Montreal, most people are bilingual and you should have no problems. Just say Bonjour (hello) Merci (thank-you) and say you don't speak any French and all will be good. Montreal is another great city, lived there for five years.

If time is not an issue for you to travel to New York, try taking the train. A year ago they were charging $65 one way, Montreal to New York, great deal.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info Ekimut:)

I did study a bit of French years ago, so I knew more than merci or bonjeur, but I forgot most of it. Part of the fun is guessing LOL

Both cities sound like a lot of fun:)

Just out of curiosity I did a search for rates on Amtrak. You can travel from Montreal to New York for $62 to $69 one way depending on departure and stay. Obviously between $124 to $138 round trip.

If anyone is thinking of taking a trip to New York, that's a great deal.

until you went in a nyc subway....lol...i love them...true they are smelly but its part of nyc. Thats another part of the charm of nyc. You never know what or who you'll see down there.

Just out of curiosity I did a search for rates on Amtrak. You can travel from Montreal to New York for $62 to $69 one way depending on departure and stay. Obviously between $124 to $138 round trip.

If anyone is thinking of taking a trip to New York, that's a great deal.

That's really sweet of you:)

Thanks!

until you went in a nyc subway....lol...i love them...true they are smelly but its part of nyc. Thats another part of the charm of nyc. You never know what or who you'll see down there.

It can't be worse than some places I've been LOL

I think Bloomberg said he is taking the subway every day. If it is good enough for him..... LOL

It can't be worse than some places I've been LOL

I think Bloomberg said he is taking the subway every day. If it is good enough for him..... LOL

Yeah, but he has body guards with concealed weapons. Lol

Yeah, but he has body guards with concealed weapons. Lol

Well, thanks for trying to make me feel good about the trip ;)

I will ride the same train as Bloomberg and the body guards LOL

Come to Ottawa for a day or two! It's pretty and we could go for coffee or something :)

That would be great! :)

I thought of that, but decided that Ottawa and Toronto deserve a separate vacation. Maybe next year....