40s and 50s; basically the Cary Grant years.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. When I think of the 40's I don't think of Cary Grant I think of the WW2 and the heroics of the many Canadians and other soldiers that fought in that war. My parents lived through the depression years and my father served during WW2.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, hope it's not coming off that way.

• Like 1

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. When I think of the 40's I don't think of Cary Grant I think of the WW2 and the heroics of the many Canadians and other soldiers that fought in that war. My parents lived through the depression years and my father served during WW2.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, hope it's not coming off that way.

Your not being overly dramatic, but in fairness, you could apply that same reasoning to any era. Yes the forties had World War 2, and following WW2 the Cold War started. The fifties, well the Cold War continued, the Korean War and first involvement in Vietnam. The sixties, the escalation of Vietnam, Cuban Missle Crisis, The Six Day War, JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr assassinated. The seventies, the FLQ crisis, Watergate, Vietnam continued, killing of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics, the taking of American hostages in Iran, and I could go on ad nauseum about the negatives in each era.

However my point is I don't think that the negatives necessarily defines a era. Yes in part it shapes the history of an era, but so do the good events. For me, the era I'm in right now is my favourite. I have good memories of past eras (sixties/seventies/eighties/nineties/2000-2013) But all I have is memories, and can't live in the past. But I can enjoy the present and that is what I do

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
  • Like 1

Your not being overly dramatic, but in fairness, you could apply that same reasoning to any era. Yes the forties had World War 2, and following WW2 the Cold War started. The fifties, well the Cold War continued, the Korean War and first involvement in Vietnam. The sixties, the escalation of Vietnam, Cuban Missle Crisis, The Six Day War, JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr assassinated. The seventies, the FLQ crisis, Watergate, Vietnam continued, killing of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics, the taking of American hostages in Iran, and I could go on ad nauseum about the negatives in each era.

However my is I don't think that the negatives necessarily defines a era. Yes in part it shapes the history of an era, but so do the good events. For me, the era I'm in right now is my favourite. I have good memories of past eras (sixties/seventies/eighties/nineties/2000-2013) But all I have is memories, and can't live in the past. But I can enjoy the present and that is what I do

RG

I understand what you're getting at. I will say I think WW2 is different than anything that happened after it. It was after all a world war, it had the horrible Holocaust and Hitler's attempt to take over the world. I think it was an American named Tom Brokaw who called them the "Greatest Generation".

It's sad how war today doesn't really affect the average citizen, we see and hear about it but it doesn't really affect "us". Those of us who do not serve in the military or have a loved one who does serve are not affected by war today.

So yes there have been wars and conflicts since WW2 but in my mind WW2 is in its own category.

Edited by fredsmith

When I think of the 40's I don't think of Cary Grant I think of the WW2.

It's true, that particular war did take place during the first few years of the two decades I cited. I had in mind largely the postwar boom (and even that war period from mid-44 on, when victory was largely expected by most people, and their attention was already turning elsewhere).

The postwar period was incredibly positive and forward-looking. Women's role in society was transforming thanks to their wartime employment, and socially there was no going back. People were picking up their lives and running with them, full of energy and optimism. I think the people who lived through those blossoming years would like to be remembered for those things too, and not just for the grim and solemn cloud of war from which they had worked so hard to emerge.

An era that always interested me was the 1870-1910 period of time. So much was changing on the technological front. When I was in university studying science it was always surprised me on how much of our fundamental science started during this time. Also, the pace of the development was much faster than in previous eras. A new idea quickly reached around the world.

I still like being here in the present. Although, as Georgiana Sweet noted "we are living (in the west) in this magical, gilded society" and I do share her concerns of the future. The last gilded age ended up in major upheavals. If we are lucky we can learn for the mistakes of those times. Let us hope that "the better angels of our nature" help us avoid any future upheavals.

Edited by Philander39
  • Like 2

The last gilded age ended up in major upheavals. If we are lucky we can learn for the mistakes of those times. Let us hope that "the better angels of our nature" help us avoid any future upheavals.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that we don't learn from our mistakes. We've been inflating stock market bubbles over and over for hundreds of years. We've been buying into propaganda from leaders who would send us to war for thousands more.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

-Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

- Kay (Men in Black)

• Like 1