SIM card question

Hello loves,

I've got a fancy new phone and I'm wondering if I can take the SIM card out and use it in an old beater phone when I go sking. Can you move a SIM card between phones?

Kay

Guest S*rca****sid

In most cases... yes. As long as the phone is compatible with the network. Turn off you phone and swap the card and give it a try.

Worse case, nothing will happen. It won't break the phone or the SIM card.

As Sarcasticsid mentioned, in most cases yes.

Keep in mind there are now three SIM card sizes: normal, micro, and nano. Older phones used the normal size, while newer ones are using micro and Apple's iPhone 5 is using nano.

There are also adapters that you can purchase to convert a nano or micro SIM to the normal size.

I would recommend going to your wireless carrier, they may be able to help you out further.

If the old phone was used previously as your old phone on the same network I"m sure you'll have no trouble. When I upgrade my phone I usually unlock the old one to be used when one when I travel.

One thing to keep in mind is the address book. Long time ago it used to be the SIM card would store names/numbers but now with "contacts" it's all on the phone so you may not have the same numbers for calling.

Eventhough all phones use the phone itself to store contacts, you can always copy or move your contacts to the SIM card and back. Keep in mind the card only will store basic info (no contact photo) and has limited space.

these guys are right ... both phones need to have been with the same provider.

Not if the phone is unlocked, in which case you could use any provider. A lot of old beater phones are easy to unlock as well.

There is only one thing I will cation you about this as I have worked in the cell phone world (fixing phones and networks). Providers that own multiple carriers (eg. Rogers owns Fido). This will not come up often and there are ways to check what carrier your phone should be on. Lets say the phone you have is a Fido phone that you have only ever had a Rogers SIM in. This will often work as long as that SIM is not put into another phone. When you put the SIM into an actual Rogers phone there is some data that is written to the SIM when you put the SIM back in the original phone you will be prompted for an MEP2 code or a Carrier Unlock Code if this is the case you will either need a new SIM or to unlock the phone. My personal recommendation is when looking for a phone look at getting an unlocked phone this will alleviate many of the issues.

As one user posted earlier that there are different sized SIMs this will be your second biggest issue making sure the SIM is compatible with both phone by its size. The most common in old phone is a standard. The most common is now the Micro SIM with the Nano only being in the iPhone and some Chinese phones. If you have further questions feel free to PM me.

Not sure about Rogers but when my daughter bought an iPhone that was on Virgin network, I threw my SIM in it from my Bell iPhone and it worked fine. Put the SIM back into my phone with no issues.

Considering a SIM card is only worth $5, you wouldn't be out that much just giving it a try. Other than a bit of time setting up the new SIM if it didn't work.

Regarding the size of SIM cards, it is quite easy to convert a standard size to the smaller micro. All you need is a pair of scissors and a steady hand (lots of YouTube videos out there to show you how).

I did this when I went from my iPhone 3GS (standard SIM) to a 4S (micro).

Yes I could have got a brand new SIM from my provider, but I like to live on the edge.

Guest S*rca****sid
Not sure about Rogers but when my daughter bought an iPhone that was on Virgin network, I threw my SIM in it from my Bell iPhone and it worked fine. Put the SIM back into my phone with no issues.

Considering a SIM card is only worth $5, you wouldn't be out that much just giving it a try. Other than a bit of time setting up the new SIM if it didn't work.

Virgin Mobile runs on the Bell network. Basically, then "rent" from bell. There are only really three networks; Bell, Rogers, and Telus. Every other carrier is either a subsidiary or pay to use their network. Some would argue that there are only two networks, since Bell and Telus pulled their resources together to upgrade their networks simultaneously ahead of the Vancouver Olympics and the release of the iPhone 4 at the time.