Just thought I'd post a thread here for anyone to post useful tips/pointers related to projects around the house. So feel free to ask for a tip or help or give a tip or help.

One of my other "Hobbies" is that I build new and renovate old houses so I actually do have a fair bit of knowledge in this area.

First tip for this thread: given that there are a lot of showers used every day in Cerbland I'd like to remind everyone that if you notice that you grout in your tiled shower gets wet during a shower it's probably time to seal it again. This will prevent water entry and mold and mildew from forming hense easier cleaning.

Feel free to add or ask.

• Like 5

When I moved in I hired a handy man to do some upgrades. One projest was that I wanted indoor outdoor carpet put on my deck, (deck has concrete floor) what I have since learned is he glued it down and it is glued on there good . Any suggestions as the best way ot remove it or is it there for good?

When I moved in I hired a handy man to do some upgrades. One projest was that I wanted indoor outdoor carpet put on my deck, (deck has concrete floor) what I have since learned is he glued it down and it is glued on there good . Any suggestions as the best way ot remove it or is it there for good?

Depending on the type of glue your only option may be to cut it and scrap from underneath. It can be long and tough job if he used an epoxy type glue. Once the carpet is removed you may have to buff the cement with a carbide buffer. (To smooth the surface again)

If you do the sell amazing finishes to put on the cement that are durable and very appealing.

• Like 1

Well I had carpet glued throughout my whole basement also directly onto the cement floor and I removed it and put down some nice laminate with the proper underlay. Unfortunately, the only way I knew how to get the carpet up was to start in a corner and pull it up and then pull towards the centre. It can be quite a lot of work to do, but if your carpet has been there for a while, the glue may not be as strong and it may come up quite easily. If you have a friend that can give you a hand you'll be amazed at how easy it can come up when you both start tugging on it!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've encountered this a few times mostly inside in a basement but once outside on a cement walkway. To answer your question, no it's not there for good it can be removed.

The process: Essentially just grab a corner and start to pull it up. Depending on how old the glue is will determine how that's going to go. I've just grabbed a corner and started hauling and tore the whole thing up but depending on the size of your patio you might want to use a utility knife to cut the carpet into smaller easier to manage sizes. One thing that I found was that although it's indoor/outdoor carpet the Suns UV will have weakened the fibers alot depending on how long its been down so the carpet may actually tear apart as you're trying to pull it up. Once it's up then you'll be left with the glue all over the concrete. There are some chemical agents designed to break down epoxy glue/resin (specifically acetone) and you can buy them at home depot but I've found that even with using those you'll have to physically mechanically remove the glue anyway. So I just skip the chemicals and go right for either a scraper or an angle grinder with a heavy abrasive disk. In a short time you'll have it all cleaned off. Depending on the size of the deck (10ftx10ft)the whole process should only take a "good" handyman a couple of hours.

You never mentioned what you hoped to do with your deck once the carpet and glue is off but there are plenty of options available. You could buy concerte stain and stain it whatever colour you want (you'll have to restain in the future). You could buy a wide variety of concrete finishes and home depot, essentially aggregate (small pebbles) in a coloured resin that gets rolled on (with a paint roller) over the concrete and gives a nice clean "man made stone" look finish. Or you can buy tiles of composite wood (no maintance) at many home reno stores or costco at about $5per sqft. They just lay down and snap together to create a nice looking deck surface. http://www.costco.ca/Simpli-Deck-Tiles%c2%ae-Wood-Plastic-Composite-Deck-Tiles.product.10366138.html

Good luck Cristy. If you have any more questions you know where to find me.:)

Chuck

• Like 1

If come up with an easier solution:) you tell your next client you have a fantasy roll playing scenario to try out. Get him to do the work and then you get paid for your services. Lmao ok maybe I didn't think this one all the way through. Lol

• Like 1

How do I get the motivation to finish the project I started? I needed to insulate my place. I don't have enough to pay someone to actually do it for me, so I did it myself. So, the insulation is done, the drywall is done. My crappy mudding and taping is there, but I really suck at that. I did get someone in who said he would do it for me (I told him I would pay him), but he ended up going back to work before it was finished, and now it sits in limbo. I could bite the bullet and get someone in to finish it, but man, I really wanted to be able to say "hey I did it myself". Of course, I always seem to be working and once I am home way too beat to start.

I know once I start, I can finish. Its just getting started.

I also need someone who is a good carpenter to finish the trim. I hate hammers and nails (love drywall guns), so will get someone to do that for me.

It looks so much more fun on tv.

How do I get the motivation to finish the project I started? I needed to insulate my place. I don't have enough to pay someone to actually do it for me, so I did it myself. So, the insulation is done, the drywall is done. My crappy mudding and taping is there, but I really suck at that. I did get someone in who said he would do it for me (I told him I would pay him), but he ended up going back to work before it was finished, and now it sits in limbo. I could bite the bullet and get someone in to finish it, but man, I really wanted to be able to say "hey I did it myself". Of course, I always seem to be working and once I am home way too beat to start.

I also need someone who is a good carpenter to finish the trim. I hate hammers and nails (love drywall guns), so will get someone to do that for me.

Yup tv can be deceiving, and as for taping and mud it can be an art looks easy but usually best to keep for a pro if you want it not to show and be straight. If seen lots of amateur try and fail. It is often harder to repair than it is to start from new.

For your moulding the rent nailers with finishing nails that make it real easy and fast providing you can cut the trim properly. Most big chain store like Home Depot rent them.

Yup tv can be deceiving, and as for taping and mud it can be an art looks easy but usually best to keep for a pro if you want it not to show and be straight. If seen lots of amateur try and fail. It is often harder to repair than it is to start from new.he

For your moulding the rent nailers with finishing nails that make it real easy and fast providing you can cut the trim properly. Most big chain store like Home Depot rent them.

I know, the guy who came in to finish my mudding kept making fun of my work. All in good fun, but none the less, .....

Thought about renting a nailer, but the trim work is up next to the ceiling, and I hate holding tools over my head. I have a nasty habit of dropping them on my head. One thing I learned this summer while putting the siding up "never leave the hammer on the top rung of the ladder". Of course I didn't actually learn this lesson and had a number of eggs on my head.

I know, the guy who came in to finish my mudding kept making fun of my work. All in good fun, but none the less, .....

Thought about renting a nailer, but the trim work is up next to the ceiling, and I hate holding tools over my head. I have a nasty habit of dropping them on my head. One thing I learned this summer while putting the siding up "never leave the hammer on the top rung of the ladder". Of course I didn't actually learn this lesson and had a number of eggs on my head.

Wish I lived closer!...I am sure we could figure out some sort of barter system....

Meaghan,

I totally respect anyone wanting to complete the work on their own. It has a great satisfaction once it's done. Thats mostly the reason I started doing this stuff in the first place. Bottom line plastering is definately not rocket science however doing it well does involve lots of practice and all the right tools and techniques depending on what type of a joint you're doing. There are lots of great youtube videos out there showing proper techniques for plastering depending on the situation. How you hold your trowel and the proper pressure applied makes a world of difference. If you have your heart set on plastering yourself then PM me and I'll send you some links to "good" youtube videos to show you properly. Personally, I've done alot of plastering over ther years and I'm good at it but I hate it none the less and get someone else to do the job if it's a large one.

On to the trim. Hammers and nails have not been used for trim work in many, many years. Pneumatic air/gas tools are all the order of the day. They are much faster and easier for all trim work regardless of wheather it's door/window facings, crown moulding or base board. Really once you use it you'll love it, shooting nails through wood does have an element of excitement to it (my wife loves it anyway and for some reason she seems to get all randy after). The nailers themselves are very light (maybe 2 pounds) so using them over head is easy and I'm sure that there are videos on youtube on using these properly as well. I believe that as recommended renting one is your best bet. Again, if you want you can let me know and I'll send you some videos showing you proper use and safety. I'm not close to you but I'll gladly chat on the phone and talk you though some things that you might have questions on if you require it.

Lastly, I know it was mentioned in jest in a previous post by a hobbiest but (still poor taste) please don't barter for services.

Good luck and you know where to reach me if you need to. :)

Chuck

• Like 2

Thanks woodchuck...I appreciate your points. This thread gave me incentive. I went home and moved all the spare lumber and drywall into the shed! At least its out of the home. Of course, I need to move onto the next step, but that will wait for a bit.

As far as bartering, all in good fun. After all, my services are more then a carpenters services are.....

Again, thanks for the tips on nail guns. I would probably like them because I love my impact drill and table saw. Hate the circular saw. That's an evil tool in my eyes.

As far as the mudding, yes tools do make a difference. The guy who was helping me (its his trade) asked me if I bought my trowel at the dollar store, and my reply was "actually it was free with the polyfiller I bought years ago". I was not using polyfiller for this job, but I thought hey, it looks like a trowel, may as well use it. I will buy a proper trowel when I get to work again! Of course, you can imagine his thoughts on using the crappy trowel.

Thanks!

xoxo

Thanks woodchuck...I appreciate your points. This thread gave me incentive. I went home and moved all the spare lumber and drywall into the shed! At least its out of the home. Of course, I need to move onto the next step, but that will wait for a bit.

As far as bartering, all in good fun. After all, my services are more then a carpenters services are.....

Again, thanks for the tips on nail guns. I would probably like them because I love my impact drill and table saw. Hate the circular saw. That's an evil tool in my eyes.

As far as the mudding, yes tools do make a difference. The guy who was helping me (its his trade) asked me if I bought my trowel at the dollar store, and my reply was "actually it was free with the polyfiller I bought years ago". I was not using polyfiller for this job, but I thought hey, it looks like a trowel, may as well use it. I will buy a proper trowel when I get to work again! Of course, you can imagine his thoughts on using the crappy trowel.

Thanks!

xoxo

Meaghan,

Of all the tools I have (and I literally almost every tool in a variety of brands, it's a sickness ;)) the best tool I've ever used is the impact driver I have four. You will love the nail gun. If you're going looking for one you want to ask for a "Brad Nailer" for trim but not a "Headless Pin Nailer" they look similar but have different uses. If you're attaching trim you'll want to use 1 1/2" or 2" brad nails.

As for trowels I've got about a dozen and in my mind you'll want to have three staple trowels for doing plastering work. A 4", 9" and a 12". You can have others but those are the basics. Also I use a mud pan as opposed to a hawk.

I agree on the circular saw, they can be nasty when they bind in the cut and jump. Sharp blades and proper technique can help with that though.

Good luck

Chuck

Hey sorry if my attempt at humor was deemed as poor taste!...did not mean any harm!....certainly do respect the SP and by no means was serious!

Meaghan...please be very careful if you do decide to get into using air type nailers...I have witnessed many people ending up with a brad..or nail...sticking through their finger because of improper use...best of luck with your project!

Thanks. I am the type of customer that always gets the rental guy show me how to use any new tool. Thanks for the tip.

I was not offended, just playful fun construction guy! No harm, now fowl.

Well, got the motivation to get started. Got all the drywall bits out into the shed. Got all the lumber into the shed too. Now my home is starting to look like a home again. Still need to get to next step, but at least this thread got me started again.

Thanks everyone!

xoxo

How do I get the motivation to finish the project I started?