Thank you for your response.

I've actually used tripAdvisor quite a bit when traveling to Toronto,Ottawa etc., however, I was very disappointed by a highly recommended Hotel in Montreal on TA with my last visit.

I also know about travelocity, expedia and other similar sites.

Just thought I would ask the opinions of people here for their thoughts.

I can't be of much help as the only downtown hotel I stayed at was the Residence Inn on Peel. However, I did not have any "visitors," so I cannot comment on that aspect. The hotel is nice enough and would be a good location for some.

My last trip, I stayed out of the downtown area in Longueuil at the Le Dauphin. It's a small hotel, but neither of my guests had any trouble making it to my room. The roads and construction around that location, however, are bizarre and can slow you down.

Finally, there are a few downtown hotels that require keycards to use the elevator. There are other boards where they list such hotels. I know the Embassy Suites does require a key card to use the elevator. Hmm.. maybe I'll start a thread on this board.....

Any recommendations for downtown Hotels in Montreal?

I have previously stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel and liked it alot. Super convenient location wise IMO and because I take the train to go there, even more so-since the train station is attached to the Q.E ;)

The Hilton Bonaventure is rather nice, located across the street from Central station, and the rooms can be accessed without going by the front desk during most hours. Not particularly cheap though.

Lately I have been staying at the Le Cantlie Suites, which is quite nice, and more affordably priced, especially with its frequent deals.

The Sheraton Centre Montreal Hotel 1201 Boulevard Rene-Levesque West is few blocks west from the Montreal train station. Delta hotel 777 Rue University is one block down from there.

The Courtyard certainly is shiny! I had a great view of it from the Hyatt last fall. However, the Courtyard Marriott does require a room key to use the elevator, according to another member. Again, this is a non-issue for some, and a big deal for some.

I updated the list due to this conversation making me realize I hadn't yet!

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=570182#post570182

Last time I stayed in Montreal I booked through Hotwire.com

Ended up at the Hyatt Regency at St. Catherine and Jeanne Mance.

Great hotel, great location, very well priced through Hotwire.

The Hyatt location truly is great. The cons were the pricey parking, the pricey wifi, the barely functioning fridge. However, as noted above, it can be gotten pretty cheap. On Priceline, the Hyatt is very easy to spot as it is the only 3.5 star in the convention center zone that does not have free wifi or breakfast. Currently you can snag it for $81 USD for most days....