Things that happen, that you can't explain and that kind of freak you out

Guest *Ste***cque**

I am open to points of view from others. I enjoy thinking about the "magic" that is our universe. I do question though if some of these happenings are more you at work than the Universe at work here.

Our brains are hard wired to look for coincidence in the world as a means of learning. This can be very helpful but sometimes too much emphasis is put on the coincidence. There are 7 billion people and it would be unusual NOT to have experiences from time to time that seem strange just based on probability theory. Our brains simply may not put any significance on noticing a time that wasn't 11:11 or on those predictions that didn't come true, in favor of focusing on those few times when an experience was strange or meaningful. When is a comet just a comet and when is it a portent of something divine? I think that depends on the persons subjectivism(experience based) or objectivism(fact based).

I do accept that todays magic is tomorrows science so who knows what is going on in some of these cases. It's nice to think the world is stranger than you know.

Guest A*ro**n
I am open to points of view from others. I enjoy thinking about the "magic" that is our universe. I do question though if some of these happenings are more you at work than the Universe at work here.

Our brains are hard wired to look for coincidence in the world as a means of learning. This can be very helpful but sometimes too much emphasis is put on the coincidence. There are 7 billion people and it would be unusual NOT to have experiences from time to time that seem strange just based on probability theory. Our brains simply may not put any significance on noticing a time that wasn't 11:11 or on those predictions that didn't come true, in favor of focusing on those few times when an experience was strange or meaningful. When is a comet just a comet and when is it a portent of something divine? I think that depends on the persons subjectivism(experience based) or objectivism(fact based).

I do accept that todays magic is tomorrows science so who knows what is going on in some of these cases. It's nice to think the world is stranger than you know.

Appreciate your take on this Steve. You're right that we shouldn't discount the power of our own mind. I mean it's the connection between your self and the outside world. As you said, our take on the outside world is based on our senses and what we're told from others. We're taking this into account and accepting it as reality.

Now when something else comes along to challenge that concept, we either label it as something that will allow it to fit into our concept of the world, or we explore it and try and figure out the source of this change.

Granted for what's going on with me, and from what other people have said, we probably don't have a lot of background information to provide an acceptable theory. But I suppose that is the lot of a scientist, to continue the exploration and not discount challenges to your theories, but to accept them and further refine your theory.