Are customer's always right?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/07/11/ottawa-walmart-woman-fired-animal-dog-vehicle-lawyer-statement-response-carla-cheney.html

We should all know by now its not right to leave any breathing living thing in a hot car for long periods of time. It only take a few minutes to get hot. Seriously should she get fired for this? Ok yes this could cause some sort of public dispute in or near the store, but doesn't the cause outway this? I've worked previously in customer service store for a long time and yes customer service was our number one policy but I think customers go to far and hide behind the fact that as a customer they should be treated right. I've seen quite a few get away with alot because they were a customer. I've seen this one time a customer threw her drink at one of my employees face all because she wanted something for free or discount.

In Quebec there is a law on pricing. If the price is wrong we are required to give the customer the product at that price minus 10 dollars. So when the special changed we would remove the product to change their prices. Customer would come in only to search out this products to see if they could get them free its was ridiculous as soon as the store opened. Total abuse of the system.

I don't believe for one second customers are always right.

What do you think?

I heard about this story too, and it's really hard to tell and judge from the outside what happened or should have happened since we really only have superficial facts. It's easy to have emotional reactions to situations like this which involve animals or children. However, there is definitely professional, diplomatic ways to handle interactions with customers, and then less professional ways. Both could have the same outcome, but could be handled completely differently. Managers and business owners are only human too, and often have to make judgement calls that subordinates or other people on the outside just don't understand.

I have a background working in many areas of the hospitality industry, and this is a field where customer service is literally more important than anything else you have to offer, so I have learned a few things over the years. And no, the customer is not always right. They are not more important than other's or their own safety. And sometimes what is good for one customer, may be to the discontent or detriment of several other customers.

Also, it often happens that in the end, sometimes customers are just more effort than they are worth to the business, so you have to cut your losses. If you have to spend xxx amount of time pleasing one customer that it affects your ability to please other customers, it's not worth it. Some people think that being a paying customer gives them all the rights in the world, but it doesn't. You simply cannot please everyone all the time, and it's a constant balancing act between keeping a good customer base happy and knowing which customers are just not worth the trouble.