I was reading one of these university journals which said that If you sleep less than 5 hours a day or less, you have a 50% likelihood of being obese.

Sounds very weird, though. Somebody who sleeps less than 5 hours a day is probably a very busy and therefore active person.

Do you sleep less than the average? Do you see it being connected to being overweight?

Guest *Ste***cque**

When I am sleeping, I'm not eating? :)

Actually, I read that study somewhere and I wondered about the correlation between sleep deprivation and obesity too. Turns out that sleep deprivation (less than 5 hours/night in this study) brings on imbalances in hormones that regulate hunger and feeling satiated. Sleep deprivation increases your hunger hormone(ghrelin) and reduces the hormone(leptin) that makes you feel satiated after eating. So your hungrier and don't get as satisfied after eating. Also, if you're sleep deprived you probably are too tired to exercise and possibly your metabolism is slower? The latter is just speculation. Sleep deprivation can also affect your heart and mental state over time so it's good to get at least 7 hours sleep a night, if at all possible.

When I was in the army during my youth we didn't get much sleep and it was there that I realized I need around 8 hours to function at my best. As a result, I did my stint and got out.

Guest *l**e

it's true. I used to work in a sleep lab and we were taught the same things that are quoted in this study. People with sleep disorders never get to be in deep sleep for any long periods of time and therefore are not rested. Then,during the day, they are quite hungry and fatigued.

It's a two way street; sleep disorder can cause obesity and obesity can result in sleep disorders.

I know in my case being a fair bit overweight, sleep was a challenge. My weight causes me to suffer from sleep apnea which I treat with a CPAP machine. My throat closes at times during the night which means without the CPAP I never achieve enough deep or REM sleep to be fully rested when I woke up.

On nights I forget to put on the CPAP or don't get enough sleep, apart from feeling tired I notice I eat a lot more and tend to make bad food choices.

Based on my personal experiences I agree with the correlation between weight gain and lack of sleep.

I sleep about 6-8 hours...but I'm up every hour or so, I don't have really good sleeps...would this lie in the same catagory? Although I'm "resting" for 6-8 hours, I'm definatly not sleeping the entire time..

Opps...just read Il Re's reply lol answered my question lol