9 Circles - what to expect from test?

Hi there...

I was told that the 9 circles clinic is one of the more convenient ways to get oneself checked for HIV/STI, but upon reading their website, I'm not sure I want to have one of those "educational" sessions as if I was a clueless teenage boy... does anybody here goes there for testing? And if so, do you have to go through this (not optional)?

In short, what should I expect from my visit? (I have an appointment already).

Cheers!

i have gone there and they are amazing i didi not go through a educational session, there staff is awesome and the rapid hiv testing is so convenient

Nine Circles is an excellent clinic. The staff are very community-oriented, have a healthy sex-positive approach and conduct themselves with professionalism, discretion and respect for your sexual preferences and lifestyle choices. I have been tested there on several occasions and have never experienced any judgmental attitude; I've felt entirely comfortable discussing some very intimate details with them. They will put you right at ease.

Generally, on a first visit they will discuss your sexual background and history, and collect information that will be kept in confidence on your file. The counseling component is undertaken as a precaution with each patient. They want to ensure that you are ready and prepared in the event that a positive test result is found, and to offer counseling and follow up if that were to occur. Your concern about being lectured like a "clueless teenage boy" is a bit misplaced, but don't dismiss the value of the conversation you'll have with the health nurse. These people are pro's; they know what they are doing and they provide a valuable service to you. Leave your attitude at the door and you'll do okay.

When I take my test at Nine Circles, I schedule a follow up appointment with the nurse. You book 2 weeks from the date of your test, and she will meet with you in private in their offices to provide you with your results. If you happened to test positive for an STI (like chlamydia), they will ask you about your sexual contacts encountered in the 3 months prior to the test date. That means "sexual" contacts, not someone you kissed; nor your s.o. if you did not have intercourse with her in that time period.

Nine Circles staff will perform the appropriate tracing and make the confidential contact to those individuals advising that they should come in for testing. There is no disclosure of your identity to the traced contact.

You've made a good decision to get tested, have an open mind and a relaxed attitude and let the staff assist you thru the process.

Happy (and safe) Pooning!

• Like 4

I go to walk in clinics where they don't know me. I know the facts pretty well already and the doctors at walk-ins will just give u a 2 minute talk about safe sex and full disclosure with partners if you are positive, and that is only on first visit. After that is just business as usual for them. Everyone gets tested now a days, so its not as big a deal for them any more. If you know the facts pretty well, then just go to random walk in clinic, if you want a nice refresher then go to 9 circles. Hope this helps.

Additional Comments:

It is also good to just go check them out and see what other resources they offer, from what I hear they are a pretty good community resource.

Nine Circles stopped doing pre-test counselling early last year, so when you go for testing you'll do a risk assessment with the STI nurse, but you don't have to sit and talk with anyone else before your test.

NC is one of the only (maybe the only) STI clinics in the city that will do a visual exam along with a routine screening. It's a little more time consuming and a little more intimate than just peeing in a cup, but I think the thoroughness of it is well worth it. Since not all STIs are routinely screened for, it's a really good opportunity to get checked for atypical symptoms that you might have missed yourself (example, herpes - no routine screening, and lesions that can present like tiny paper cuts instead of the usual blisters.) They'll also do throat and anal swabs as part of routine screening if you have risk factors and want those tests.

The staff is awesome and I think it's pretty much the best place in the city to get tested.

• Like 1