Article:

Science confirms, men ogle women

Published October 29, 2013

Science has confirmed what women have known for years - men really do look at women's bodies more than their faces.

But a study published in the journal
Sex Roles
shows that women are just as guilty of staring at other women's bodies more than their faces.

The US study took 29 women and 36 men who were fitted an eye-tracking system which measures how many milliseconds the eyes remain on a certain spot.

Photographs of 10 women were shown, each with three digitally altered body shapes - curvaceous, much less curvaceous and in-between.

Both men and women focused on women's chests and waists.

Those women with bigger breasts, narrower waists and bigger hips prompted longer looks.

Lead author of the study, Dr Sarah Gervais of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, said the explanation may be evolutionary as men are said to be drawn to more shapely women for childbearing, while women may be checking out their competition.

"We live in a culture in which we constantly see women objectified in interactions on television and in the media. When you turn your own lens on everyday, ordinary women, we focus on those parts, too," she told
external-link.png

"Until now, we didn't have evidence people were actually doing that to women's bodies," she said. "We have women's self-reports, but this is some of the first work to document that people actually engage in this."

The eye tracking system is said to be more useful then questionnaires or interviews, which are subjective, because people may not known how much the subconsciously check out women's bodies.

This sounds like tax dollars at work, the work of people that have never spoken to the opposite sex, or perhaps it was suggested by someone as a joke.

What other ridiculous studies have you heard of?

Fox news, enough said.

Article was originally from USA Today, and just copied by Fox news: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/29/body-shape-objectification-technology/3287287/

Here's an idea for a new study: "Why do pumpkin sales plummet after October 31st" -- how do I get government funding for this?

In other news... did you know that a squirrel has tiny hooks on the end of his penis?

xFV0AQM.jpg

• Like 2

Actually, as much as everyone is saying "Duh", without looking at how people view men, I don't think this study has proven anything. Do people look at men's faces or bodies more? Why assume it is only women who are looked at this way? They've done other studies to show that men are assessed on their height and the width of their shoulders, so perhaps a similar study with men would show that we're not really looking at their faces, either.

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

I'm sure you're exactly right...but do we really need a study to prove it?

Additional Comments:

I think I need to clarify...I would say "duh" to a study that showed that as well. Or a study the showed that any commonly occurring human behaviour is actually occurring and is common.

I hate " studies" that simply show us something everybody knows already.

Guest S*rca****sid
Article was originally from USA Today, and just copied by Fox news: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/29/body-shape-objectification-technology/3287287/

Here's an idea for a new study: "Why do pumpkin sales plummet after October 31st" -- how do I get government funding for this?

Fox News or USA today... I think we can all agree that any U.S. news agency is a bit askew when it comes to reporting the news.

Fox News or USA today... I think we can all agree that any U.S. news agency is a bit askew when it comes to reporting the news.

Most "science" stories in the mainstream media are so dumbed down that they have little to do with the actual paper or study.

As a result valid science is belittles and ridiculed.

Maybe the actual scientific paper itself would be quite interesting.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Not wanting to discount anyone's comments, but I try to resist my first impulse to automatically discredit any scientific study. Quite often the media butchers the report in an attempt to summarize the findings, or they purposely skew it for their own agenda.

Also, there could be valid science behind seemingly obvious conclusions. Without ridiculous scientist making ridiculous statements many of us might still think the sun, planet and stars revolve around the earth. That's how it looks on the surface at least. It's only when someone decided to question the obvious that our view of the world and our place on it changed.

Most "science" stories in the mainstream media are so dumbed down that they have little to do with the actual paper or study.

As a result valid science is belittles and ridiculed.

Maybe the actual scientific paper itself would be quite interesting.

Not wanting to discount anyone's comments, but I try to resist my first impulse to automatically discredit any scientific study. Quite often the media butchers the report in an attempt to summarize the findings, or they purposely skew it for their own agenda.

Also, there could be valid science behind seemingly obvious conclusions. Without ridiculous scientist making ridiculous statements many of us might still think the sun, planet and stars revolve around the earth. That's how it looks on the surface at least. It's only when someone decided to question the obvious that our view of the world and our place on it changed.

Great points guys!

It's too bad that the mainstream media, very rarely makes the study paper available and all we have is the dumbed down version.

The mainstream media reports the news they want to report, the way they want to report it, and considering the number of typos, grammar and other errors I find in many "news" articles, not much if any editing had been done, which means little or no fact checking was done -- frankly these days I can't trust the mainstream media any more than internet bloggers.