A technological leap for me

Guest S**r***e

So I just wanted to share with my fellow cerbites that I have just bought my very first IPod. This sucker is fairly impressive (well to me anyway). It is the Nano version. This little bugger fits in the palm of my hand. It sure is a far cry from my last portable music device, which was my walkman that I had back in the day. I thought my walkman was the coolest when I first got it, except when the foam ear protector thingys ripped and then the metal speaker cut into your ear. Or when the door fell off and I had to use duct tape to keep it closed. Also sucked carrying my little cassette briefcase around so I had music variety but hey, back then it was the shit!

Anyway, so it took me about 4 hours to just figure the music part of this IPod out. I managed to buy and get 21 songs on it. I created a little 21 song playlist for it and I have to say its sounds amazing. I am so far, pleased with it. Can't wait to pack this sucker with some good tunes.

Now on to my next challenge with this thing, the video functions. Apparently I can take video clips with it.....sheesh. It also has a radio function and well lots of other cool little things. Someday I will have them all figured out. For now I am going to listen to my little playlist and see what other songs I can get for it. I might have to make some 80's and 90's compilation playlists for it...oh yeah!!

Hey Etasman......did they ever make portable 8 track players?:lol:

Oh yeah, the Walkman...I must have owned a half-dozen of those things with amazing technological features like auto-reverse so you didn't have to flip that ultra long 90 min tape over, song skip where you pushed a button and the tape fast forwarded to the next moment of silence (whirr, whirr, whirr), or even a mini graphic equalizer on the outside of the case.

Then there was the Discman that gave you the ability to listen to a CD on the go provided you didn't shake, jiggle or move the unit in any way whatsoever.

I've been holding off upgrading my iPod to a Touch or iPhone until they come out with one that will carry all my tunes. There's a little more than 90 mins in my collection now ;) Might still take a few years before they come out with the 256GB iPhone.

I don't know why it's so important to me though, I spend more time trying to figure out what I'm going to listen to than I do actually listening to it. They are fucking amazing though, can't believe how far things have come along in just 10 years.

Anyone remember the Sticky Fingers 8-track that switched tracks halfway through a song??

Guest S**a*Q

Hahahaha, my dad still has AND uses a functioning 8 track in his basement. He's always asking me to find him more 8-track things when I go to yard sales. I tried to tell him that it's not so easy to find anymore, that he should upgrade to a record player :P

Gotta love vintage ;)

Hey Etasman......did they ever make portable 8 track players?:lol:

I may have a mullet but I'm not that old!

Welcome to the 21st Century 69er

Guest s******ecan****

one of the neat things about the radio function is that you if you hear a song you like but aren't familiar with you can flag it so that next time you go to purchase songs you don't have to try to remember the artist or song title.

hehe congrats Sixernine, I know the feling, I had one of the old ipods and had it stolen out of my car....so I went back to my good ol panasonic Shockwave Discman. After my ipod got swiped I was using the discman for about two years! The battery cover was gone on it so I'd often have to open the whole thing up, take the disc out and pop the batteries back in their slot

I just got the ipod touch and I've never been happier...loaded all my CDs on it, and gave the "oh so cool Discman" to my eight year old, lol :-) yaaay

Good idea for a XMAS present to me...... I love listening to my music also so maybe it's IPOD time. So when my kids ask me what I would want or need, I'll at least have a suggestion to make: IPOD or a Wii something for exercising...

WOO.

Congrats Sixernine. I'm on my third iPod. Haha. I can't live without it.

:mrgreen:

I won an iPod last year as a door prize, didn't even try to figure it out, gave it away. LMFAO

Yes, Congratulations . Sixernine. Enjoy.

IPods suck get a good MP3 player such as a Zune. Oh ya ITunes sucks as well.

IPods suck get a good MP3 player such as a Zune. Oh ya ITunes sucks as well.

I stay the hell away from the whole Mac trend and use PC's/Windows exclusively, but I'll still take the iPod any day. Techy differences notwithstanding, it's the same principle - it has become so ubiquitous that almost everything is designed to work with the iPod.

iTunes is a bloated sac on Windows though - but it's good enough.

I stay the hell away from the whole Mac trend and use PC's/Windows exclusively, but I'll still take the iPod any day. Techy differences notwithstanding, it's the same principle - it has become so ubiquitous that almost everything is designed to work with the iPod.

iTunes is a bloated sac on Windows though - but it's good enough.

I'm a PC lover to the tee!...but the iPod touch is just so nifty, lol.......still obviously its synched to my PC. i dont care how pretty those macs are...nuthins gonna make me junk my years of program set-up for a couple grand, ;-)

Huzzah! Out of the realm of the neo-Luddites, you have crossed the threshold of technological maturity, sixernine!

We must duel, the duel of iPods!

I must warn you, my year old near-antiquity has over thirty GB in music. Brandish you headphones and defend yourself, sir knight!

Congrats on your evolution Sixernine!

I guess it's 1 of the 3 guarantees in life: Death; Taxes; Change

Myself, despite doing a post-grad in e-commerce, building an IT/IM/IS career (Tech. Manager) and launching technological enterprises (Infoprenuer) - I am old school - and still use my original 1980s Walkman with mixed tapes.

I only use my cellphone to answer and make calls (but with the #8 & #9 not working for the last 9 months, I dont make many calls). I had 2 cells one time (local & international), but I found the oddest thing - people kept calling me! ...so I went back to basics.

None-the-less, further change will come, as I cannot wait for Augmented Reality and Hyper-Video to take foot!

Guest S**r***e

30 GB of music!! Nice! I feel as if I may need some time to get the feel of brandishing my Ipod before I take on the likes of you Madame Belladonna. However, once I have master the art of sheathing and unsheathing my weapon of mass storage, a duel will be in order. On Guard!!!!

Huzzah! Out of the realm of the neo-Luddites, you have crossed the threshold of technological maturity, sixernine!

We must duel, the duel of iPods!

I must warn you, my year old near-antiquity has over thirty GB in music. Brandish you headphones and defend yourself, sir knight!