The â??Tech Supportâ?� Scammers Called...

Guest S*rca****sid

I get these call on a regular basis and the last one was on Friday january 25th at around 2;30 Pm. He told he he was kevin from Microsoft. As previously stated it took a few seconds before he started talking in a thick accent. Some times I just hang up, other time I say I does not compute and hang up. Some time soon I will have a whistle close to my phone and when they call again I will blow the whistle, hope fully by then they will stop. They also call my sister and best friend with the same B.S and they also hangup.

My latest amusement with these guys is to interrupt them and ask the if their family is proud of them. "Does your father proudly tell his friends that his son steals money? Is your mother comforted in her heart that she raised a son who brings shame upon the family name?"

Right around there is when they hang up.

I recognize these guys are just doing their job but I also know that there are legitimate calls centres in India and Bangladesh where they could perform honourable work.

So move along, guys. Nothing to see here.

• Like 3

Still remember I was visiting a friend of mine at her mother's place when she received such a call from someone heavily accented who referred to viruses on her "com-poot-her". She's a fiesty Irish lady in her 70s who told him "This is the last time I'm going to tell you bastards, stop calling me, I don't own a f**cken computer".

I never laughed so hard in my life.

Apparently they never called back.

Also had a friend who said the guy who called him said he was from "Windows" and they had detected viruses on his computer that had to be cleaned. He played along with them feigning hard of hearing or something, insisting he wasn't interested in having his windows cleaned; that he was quite capable of washing them himself. The guy finally hung up out of frustration.

• Like 1

Hacking today in large part is heavily dependent on social engineering, convincing people to download and email, running an attachment and/or convincing the intended victim to give sensitive and personal information. So it always makes me laugh when these guys call my home, you can hear the lack of confidence and hear the uncertainty in their voices.

That being said, this scam is still ongoing because too many fall prey and victim to them.

Being a techie myself. I let them remotely access a virtual machine that I spin up for the purchase just to be able to get their IP. The machine contains all false information which pollutes their databases. I then attempt to hack them. If that doesn't work and I can be relatively certain that they aren't in some kind of protected network (one guy was actually working for Microsoft and doing this on his spare time) I perform a DDOS attack and report them to the RCMP cyber-crimes unit. For the guy that worked for Microsoft, I didn't bother attacking them... I simply emailed Microsoft cyber security department with the identifying information I was able to gather from his connection to my computer.

Before anyone here asks me to hack someone's email/computer/account/bank etc., understand that I won't do it. Although I still work in IT my hacking days, mostly whitehat, are long gone. There are a multitude of reasons for it, which I won't go into here. Thank you for your understanding.