Haiti Earthquake Relief

Guest W***ledi*Time

Just a reminder that those who wish to make a donation for Haiti can do so through the Canadian Red Cross, either through their website www.redcross.ca, or via phone 1-800-418-1111.

Haiti is the poorest country in our hemisphere. The average income in Haiti is only USD$270 per year.

Heart-rending.

Donating to the Red Cross is the best way to go. Just watch out for unsolicited emails. Quite a few scammers and spammers are trying to profit from this catastrophe and have set up fake donation sites and are running phishing scams.

I can't figure out why it is usually the poor countries who get sacked all the time. Unfair. I agree we all have to help out as much as we can. A real sad event.

Guest s******ecan****

There is also a novel organization called "Shelter Box" which was started by Rotarians (no I am not one). I donated to them. They produce a fascinating aid product that you can view by going to their website.

http://www.shelterbox.org/index2.php

For those that use their mobile devices a lot, you can also check with your phone provider as you can automatically text in funds for contributions towards the relief. Your phone provider then bills you on next bill.

For those that use their mobile devices a lot, you can also check with your phone provider as you can automatically text in funds for contributions towards the relief. Your phone provider then bills you on next bill.

Edit: Text options to Red Cross or Yele only work in the States. Via here, which lists other ways to donate:

"Rogers, which is taking part in the Salvation Army campaign, said it is also offering a separate donation option for its customers. Rogers wireless subscribers can text the word "Help" to 1291 to donate $5 to Haitian relief efforts. One-hundred per cent of the donation will go to Partners in Health: Haiti and other relief organizations, the company said.

Bell and Telus said they are taking part in the Salvation Army campaign, although Telus warned that its system will not be up and running until Friday. A spokesman for the company said Telus was in the midst of setting up its system when the earthquake struck.

All three companies also announced they were making their own donations. Rogers is donating $250,000 in funds and goods, with Bell and Telus providing $100,000 and $50,000 respectively."

• Like 1

Edit: Text options to Red Cross or Yele only work in the States. Via here, which lists other ways to donate:

"Rogers, which is taking part in the Salvation Army campaign, said it is also offering a separate donation option for its customers. Rogers wireless subscribers can text the word "Help" to 1291 to donate $5 to Haitian relief efforts. One-hundred per cent of the donation will go to Partners in Health: Haiti and other relief organizations, the company said.

Bell and Telus said they are taking part in the Salvation Army campaign, although Telus warned that its system will not be up and running until Friday. A spokesman for the company said Telus was in the midst of setting up its system when the earthquake struck.

All three companies also announced they were making their own donations. Rogers is donating $250,000 in funds and goods, with Bell and Telus providing $100,000 and $50,000 respectively."

Good heads-up, Katedot! Really helpful, thanks!!

A few organizations are also stepping up. I've heard American Airlines is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. Please call 212-697-9767. UPS is shipping packages under 50lbs to Haiti for free. If you have anything you want to donate, please call UPS.

Guest S***e

I tried several times to do an online donation through the Canadian Red Cross site, however due to heavy volume I wasn't successful until yesterday. It was very quick and secure. The donation is safe in their hands.