Article in the Daily Gleaner....

Has anyone had the chance to read the article in our Daily Gleaner?

It is the first time I read an article on prostitution laws that FINALLY stated that not all sex-workers are forced or oppressed or what have you.

They seem to finally see that for many of us choose to do this as our profession! Brought up the fact that we could pay into the system like taxes, CPP, EI etc. To be treated and looked at as any other job, being able to complain to labour boards on health and safety, etc.

I was so pleased to read this. I am of course aware of the challenges that some sex workers face ie: pimps, violence, trafficking. BUT it is far fewer then what most papers are trying to portray. They really seemed to have a grip on the actual facts.

I tried to look up the article on line, but did not find it, perhaps if some does find it, you will post it in the "news" section:) I read it in the printed paper, Feb 06.

• Like 3

Interesting.

An acquaintance of mine in the banking industry recently told me a story about a service provider coming into their bank to get a loan. When asked about their profession, they ended up being denied.

There is legitimacy in the profession. It has always existed and will continue to. Those who claim its immoral or dangerous society are extremely narrow minded and ignore one of the main essences of human nature.

Your idea of making it a taxable profession breaks down the marginalization of service providers and formally recognizes them as contributing members of society (at least in the eyes of CRA :) )

• Like 1

I hope the conservatives will go for the legal framework they have in Newzeeland, where prostitution is licensed and brothels are regulated and have safety and health standards. My fear is the current government will continue its dogmatic crime and punishment model pushing prostitution into the dark corners of society making it dangerous for the people working in the industry and those who frequent them.

• Like 3

I hope the conservatives will go for the legal framework they have in Newzeeland, where prostitution is licensed and brothels are regulated and have safety and health standards. My fear is the current government will continue its dogmatic crime and punishment model pushing prostitution into the dark corners of society making it dangerous for the people working in the industry and those who frequent them.

They definitely will. Just listen to what Peter McKay has been saying regarding the provinces dropping a number of cases.

• Like 1

Interesting.

An acquaintance of mine in the banking industry recently told me a story about a service provider coming into their bank to get a loan. When asked about their profession, they ended up being denied.

There is legitimacy in the profession. It has always existed and will continue to. Those who claim its immoral or dangerous society are extremely narrow minded and ignore one of the main essences of human nature.

Your idea of making it a taxable profession breaks down the marginalization of service providers and formally recognizes them as contributing members of society (at least in the eyes of CRA :) )

I started to pay income tax on my business 3 years ago, and just this year made my first CPP payment:) So even tho these new changes to the law just beginning, we have been able to pay taxes and contribute all along. I put my profession down on paper as " adult entertainer"

I wish I would have done it years ago, not realizing how important it is to my credit and ability to retire properly.

But the great thing is, I am sure I will be able to get a mortgage soon too! My bank is very pleased with my progress so far. Maybe just another year of income statements will do:)

I started to pay income tax on my business 3 years ago, and just this year made my first CPP payment:) So even tho these new changes to the law just beginning, we have been able to pay taxes and contribute all along. I put my profession down on paper as " adult entertainer"

I wish I would have done it years ago, not realizing how important it is to my credit and ability to retire properly.

But the great thing is, I am sure I will be able to get a mortgage soon too! My bank is very pleased with my progress so far. Maybe just another year of income statements will do:)

I would think that you're the exception rather than the norm.

I get the impression that you are very industrious and have that innate sense of entrepreneurship, which is reflected in the professional image you project for your business.

• Like 1

The business has always existed and it always will, whether it is out in the open, or a little "dark secret". Some people have a hard time accepting that, but they don't have to participate. It's a reality, maybe moreso now than ever, so the government should just "grow a pair" and legitimize it. I think that is in everyone's best interest

• Like 1

Guest tr**el*****n

Like the war on drugs - specifically pot - the fight against prostitution is a waste of time and resources by the government.

I can buy the argument against street sales and such. But nowadays, everything can be done in near complete discretion (NSA / CSEC not withstanding) that the services can be offered and enjoyed without anybody knowing. Especially with platforms like this site.

So even tho these new changes to the law just beginning, we have been able to pay taxes and contribute all along.

You're not only able to, you're required to. Even if the activity is illegal, the income is taxable. (I'm not saying that's the case here of course, that it was illegal.)

• Like 1

You're not only able to, you're required to. Even if the activity is illegal, the income is taxable. (I'm not saying that's the case here of course, that it was illegal.)

I have paid taxes for 3 years as " adult entertainer" , some ladies feel that if they do this, they will "out" themselves. Even in the 90's I paid taxes as a dancer.

• Like 1