Faster, Higher, Stronger

The Winter Olympic Games have begun with the official opening ceremonies having just been concluded.

One thing that I have not lost with my advancing age is my sense of idealism. When the Olympics come around every two years and I look at the majority of the athletes, I see young people, kids mostly it seems to me, who have sacrificed their time and their bodies in pursuit of a goal. Some are certainly professionals, such as our NHL players that are going over, but most are ordinary people who obtain minimal monetary funding that allows them to train for this experience.

They are living their dream on an individual level yet they also do represent us and our country in their endeavors. For their work, their effort, their personal commitment and the ideals that many of them truly do represent, I say "Well done."

They make me proud.

• Like 2

I recently donated a small amount to a young man, who desperately wants to play hockey! He is talented, but his mom who is a single mom, and not much pennies to spare.

One person said to me " ohhh that is a scam, there are many gov funded programs for this kid!"

For me, there is a huge difference in a kid just wanting to play, from a kid who had a vision of real determination to go as far as he could. This kid is now 9 yrs.

I was an athlete, I trained in gymnastics. I started at age 5, by the time I was 13 I was trained for nationals. Age 15 I had a life changing injury. I made it to provincial level. I was training that year for nationals.

To this day, I can not imagine how my parents managed to pay for my training?? Even with both parents working Gov jobs, it was insane the amount of money they paid out! Thanks Mom, Dad!

In the world of athletes, it is an early career, you need to start early, cause you will finish early as well.

To see our young teams get this far, I am always in awww of their determination!

So yes...I will always help a young one along their way, especially when this is in their bones:)

• Like 2