Mobile site

Okay, so day before yesterday, I was one if those people who vaguely understood that she needed a mobile site, but had no idea how to get there from here.

Then, while looking for the answer to something unrelated, I kept running into this term, jQuery. After a while, I thought, what in the eff is jQuery? I never heard of it before, and suddenly, it's all I'm hearing about.

So I looked it up. Then I took a quick online course in it. And next thing you know, I've got a starter mobile site!

If you have a minute, please test it out for me. It's at http://www.JoyfulC.com/test.htm . Not looking for feedback on content, but on functionality. PlzKThx!

It looked good on my computer. I tried to check it out on my cell phone but I got a "Network Error" -- my batter was also starting to run low. I will try again later.

Sorry,

• Like 1

Worked well on my IPad, video is a nice touch and bonus to site.

Thanks, but the video poses a bit of a technical problem. I set up all the other sections so that they'll collapse on click. But because the user has to click to start the video, I had to disable it for that section. You can still click on the header to toggle it closed. (It's always something!)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to test my mobile page out today! I took down that test.htm file, because I had the opportunity to put the finishing touches on my official new mobile site today, and made some changes to my regular site, as well. I decided, for now, just to let people decide whether they want to go to the mobile site or the pc/desktop site themselves. I have to have an entry page anyway with the age advisory on it, so why not?

Again, thanks!

please first forgive my complete ignorance as I'm not very tech savvy...

but my webmaster changed my site on the last update and now it actually changes itself to accommodate whatever screen size it's being viewed on.

Haven't got the foggiest idea what that's called, but I bet someone here does!

I used to have a mobile site and a regular site, but with all the different screen sizes now, phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops varying so much it's very convenient.

If you check my site out on your laptop screen right now, enter past the disclaimer, and then just minimize the screen slowly you will see what I mean. When it's small enough it will change to 'mobile mode'

Coolest. Thing. Ever.

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid
please first forgive my complete ignorance as I'm not very tech savvy...

but my webmaster changed my site on the last update and now it actually changes itself to accommodate whatever screen size it's being viewed on.

Haven't got the foggiest idea what that's called, but I bet someone here does!

I used to have a mobile site and a regular site, but with all the different screen sizes now, phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops varying so much it's very convenient.

If you check my site out on your laptop screen right now, enter past the disclaimer, and then just minimize the screen slowly you will see what I mean. When it's small enough it will change to 'mobile mode'

Coolest. Thing. Ever.

Most sites now are "Responsive" meaning they will auto detect the size (resolution) of the screen and accommodate it. With so many different screen sizes now available, the (old) standard "mobile" and "desktop" sizes don't necessarily fit the bill.

unified_device_design.png

Okay, so day before yesterday, I was one if those people who vaguely understood that she needed a mobile site, but had no idea how to get there from here.

Then, while looking for the answer to something unrelated, I kept running into this term, jQuery. After a while, I thought, what in the eff is jQuery? I never heard of it before, and suddenly, it's all I'm hearing about.

So I looked it up. Then I took a quick online course in it. And next thing you know, I've got a starter mobile site!

If you have a minute, please test it out for me. It's at http://www.JoyfulC.com/test.htm . Not looking for feedback on content, but on functionality. PlzKThx!

It looked good on my computer. I tried to check it out on my cell phone but I got a "Network Error" -- my batter was also starting to run low. I will try again later.

Sorry,

I finally got to view you ;) and your site on my cell phone.

Looks good to me. :)

Navigation and functionality is easy too. :)

• Like 1

Jessica, yep! Responsive design. I'm on it, but I'm not there yet. CoffeeCup software just prereleased their responsive design tool, but this has been an expensive month so I'm minding my pesos. Also, I want to learn a bit about break points and such before I start relying on a tool to do it for me.

My needs aren't fancy! But Google Analytics and feedback I'm getting suggested that a lot of people were checking out my site on mobile devices. So I guess the timing was good.

Viva la jQuery!!!