The new intravaginal ring for std's and pregnancy

Yes I agree with you Cristy, it does sound interesting and promising. BUT I would only trust it so far as a backup method to a condom. Nothing is 100% effective (except abstinence - no one wants that). So I am a firm believer in a two system plan. (i.e. condom & pill; condom & IUD; condom & patch; etc...) {Especially in this life style}

Keep in mind that the article stated "The rings are being manufactured now, and the device soon will undergo its first test in women." "...clinical studies on the use of the ring is to start in 2014". So everything sounds theoretical so far.

Women will have to remember to replace it every 3 months (90 days). I know some women who have trouble remembering to take "the pill" every day. t3604.gif

I look forward to hearing about the real world data after it has been on the market for a few years.

Great post! Thank you for sharing this Cristy. :)

• Like 1

Quite interesting indeed. I wish they gave a little more information about it though. What other STI's it could or does protect against, potential price-tag if testing proves successful, that kind of thing.

• Like 1

wouldn't it have to basically cover the entire inside to be effective? absorption through skin and/or small abrasions is very possible

wouldn't it have to basically cover the entire inside to be effective? absorption through skin and/or small abrasions is very possible

From my understanding of it, it basically turns the vagina's natural secretions into a potent antibiotic that kills microbes. They didn't really offer much on how it works though, so at best this is an educated guess.