Guest *l**e

I don't disagree, however, I don't totally agree either. Here is where I have issue. If only licensed, reputable breeders were permitted to breed dogs, and all backyard breeders, puppy mills, etc were all closed, then I think supply and demand would make euthanasia non-existent.

I understand the point of that page and the movement, but I feel it goes too far.

Reputable breeding is important to keep breeds alive and sustained. Although some of the lines have gotten ridiculous (like bull dogs), most pure breeds are kept healthy and thriving by the loving, caring breeders that help these species survive.

As an aside, I am often disappointed at how little press this same issue with cats gets. It's actually a much bigger problem.

My opinion only.

I don't disagree, however, I don't totally agree either. Here is where I have issue. If only licensed, reputable breeders were permitted to breed dogs, and all backyard breeders, puppy mills, etc were all closed, then I think supply and demand would make euthanasia non-existent.

I understand the point of that page and the movement, but I feel it goes too far.

Reputable breeding is important to keep breeds alive and sustained. Although some of the lines have gotten ridiculous (like bull dogs), most pure breeds are kept healthy and thriving by the loving, caring breeders that help these species survive.

As an aside, I am often disappointed at how little press this same issue with cats gets. It's actually a much bigger problem.

My opinion only.

You make good points, thanks for them and I agree about the cats, they are just as in need of help if not more so. It's truly a shame. I'm not sure what the solutions are but something needs to be done. Thanks for taking the time to respond:)

Il Re makes a good point that puppy mills and such are on a whole other level from licensed breeders. Some of them are the biggest animal lovers one could find, after all.

For my two cents, I think the bigger change has to come from those who want the pet...that is, the demand side of the equation. As long as people are willing to pay $$$ for breeder dogs, there are going to be breeders. Whatever anyone says or feels, I think it's fair to say that's the reality.

But if people were more inclined to adopt from a shelter instead, and the demand (and so profit) for breeders went away, that's where you'd see big reductions in animals having to be euthanized.

• Like 2

Guest Ou**or**n

I also feel that dog breeders have a role. There are very different traits among dog breeds and some people choose a dog specifically because they either feel those traits make them most compatible with their household and lives (children, amount of exercise, etc). When you adopt a mutt you are taking more of gamble.

That all being said, my favorite and most compatible dog was a mutt.

Naturally I agree completely that disreputable "breeders" suck and should be hounded (ha ha!) out of business. But reputable breeders are cool.

What I would like to see changed is some people's automatic assumption that a breeder is the only good place to get a dog. As Cristy points out, there are shelters aplenty with wonderful dogs who need a good home. I'd love to get the word out that there's not just virtue in rescuing a dog, there's a real reward in the loving pets you can bring into your life this way. Rescue dogs don't need to have unmanageable "issues"; they can be marvellous.

Sigh... back in the '90s I rescued a tiny little dog with my partner at the time. The little creature had awkward limbs and broken teeth from lifelong confinement breeding puppies... but once she learned to trust us she was marvelous. I could tell stories... About five years later she shuffled off this mortal coil, but those were five very good years (I like to think her best).

This reminds me too of this story I saw recently. I haven't done the checking to be certain it's all true, but I think it is:

Ode to a rescued dog

• Like 2

I also feel that dog breeders have a role. There are very different traits among dog breeds and some people choose a dog specifically because they either feel those traits make them most compatible with their household and lives (children, amount of exercise, etc). When you adopt a mutt you are taking more of gamble.

That all being said, my favorite and most compatible dog was a mutt.

Thank you for your response but your post may make some feel all shelter dogs are mutts. So I thought I should respond. In fact many dogs that enter shelters, through no fault of their own, are pure breeds. But realistically with any dog you are taking "a chance". Yes some dogs/breeds have specific traits- ex: herding abilities, higher exercise needs, some breeds need a job. But make no mistake behaviors are not breed specific. Dogs are dogs. Yes there can be exceptions many times as well. Bull dogs for example-the old English, have a tendency to be low energy. But I've met a few you wouldn't be able to keep up with. When taking home any dog you have to educate yourself about dogs and spend some time with it before you decide to keep it. Shelter dogs especially, come in with little info about their pasts so to know how they'll act and react takes time. However they will allow frequent visits for you to walk and spend time with your chosen one. When choosing a puppy from a reputable breeder, though you know I'd prefer adoption, that breeder should know the pups and be able to help you select the one best for you. As far as mixed/mutt breeds I don't agree that you are taking more of a chance.

All dogs need exercise, good food and a consistent responsible loving owner, with that any dog no matter the breed or mix of breeds will be a loyal and loving , well behaved pet.

The problem with people and dogs are the misunderstandings. Aggression and other behaviors are often misread, and a bad diet, sickness, pain lack of exercise can cause a dog to appear aggressive or having other behavior issues. Dogs that destroys/chews things may be frustrated from lack of exercise, possibly it needs a job, or it could have separation anxiety, or something else going on. Dogs want to please so if there is negative behavior you or someone who has handled or had that dog is or has done something wrong. Thank you for your post:)

• Like 2

I have to agree with Il Re. From what I know it isn't the reputable breeders that are a problem, it is the puppy mills. If a person purchases a dog from a reputable breeder they, IMHO aren't part of a problem. Likewise, those who purchase cats from reputable breeders aren't IMHO part of a problem. Sometimes certain breeds of cats and dogs you have to get from a reputable breeder, who breeds that breed of cat or dog (say that five times fast) And sometimes some people want a certain breed of cat or dog, and nothing wrong with that

That said, the puppy mills (and cat mills) I do agree are the problem.

And anyone wishing to own a dog or be owned by a cat LOL should just avoid the mills and either purchase their cat or dog from a reputable breeder, the Humane Society (or alternate reputable animal shelters)

Anyhow a rambling

RG

I have to agree with Il Re. From what I know it isn't the reputable breeders that are a problem, it is the puppy mills. If a person purchases a dog from a reputable breeder they, IMHO aren't part of a problem. Likewise, those who purchase cats from reputable breeders aren't IMHO part of a problem. Sometimes certain breeds of cats and dogs you have to get from a reputable breeder, who breeds that breed of cat or dog (say that five times fast) And sometimes some people want a certain breed of cat or dog, and nothing wrong with that

That said, the puppy mills (and cat mills) I do agree are the problem.

And anyone wishing to own a dog or be owned by a cat LOL should just avoid the mills and either purchase their cat or dog from a reputable breeder, the Humane Society (or alternate reputable animal shelters)

Anyhow a rambling

RG

Thanks RG. But to your post-yes and no. The problem is how does anyone regulate and determine who is reputable and who isn't? Also, those who get dogs from reputable breeders are sometimes those who start puppy mills or become irresponsible breeders. Unless a particular breeder has a non-breeding agreement and strongly enforces it, breeders, reputable ones, then too become part of the problem. It's not often discussed but sometimes "reputable" breeders place their "left over" dogs in shelters . Not every good breeder can find a good home for their pups so....

If a person just wants a pet dog perhaps it's time, because of the HUGE amounts of high kill shelters and HUGE amounts of GOOD dogs being KILLED just because of lack of space, we put aside our desire to have a particular breed and just adopt the dog that's right for you .

-There are rescue groups also for every pure breed trying to rehome their dogs as well.

-There are arguments to justify both sides I suppose but why even if you are responsible would you want to bring in more dogs when their are thousands, upon thousands needing homes ?

thanks for your response:)

Guest *l**e

There are problems in the world and there are solutions to the problems. Unfortunately, what happens more often than not is the following:

1. once the problem is exposed, people/groups who can benefit start formulating their plans

2. the polarizing sides start their wars

3. the obvious and simple answer becomes the target of the special interest sides

4. the solution never gets implemented.

In this case, the answer is simple; regulation. Eliminate and prosecute all puppy mills and shut down all backyard breeders. Literally every single person who breeds/sells an animal without a permit gets fined, etc. The cash from the fines all goes to shelters, etc. With that cash, the animals in shelters can get vacinated, etc meaning the cost of adoption would go down. There are more details to the solution, but that is enough to illustrate the point

The polarizing views: The "breeder side" says there should be little if any regulation because the more low quality breeders exist, the higher fees the high quality breeders can charge. The "other side" wants all breeders eliminated. Because the actual solution does nothing to benefit either of them, they both battle against it as well.

Therefore, nothing ever get accomplished, the problem persists.

This is what we do in North America; we allow special interests to rule the day and everyone suffers for it...progress is non-existent.

Here's one for you. I own a farm. I get cats dropped off way too often. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to get them all fixed. However, I like animals, so I cannot just dispose of them. So.....I buy cat food. Short of setting up trail cams and shooting the perps that drop them off, any suggestions? Cristy, I'd consider some sort of barter system if you have any suggestions. LOL

Here's one for you. I own a farm. I get cats dropped off way too often. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to get them all fixed. However, I like animals, so I cannot just dispose of them. So.....I buy cat food. Short of setting up trail cams and shooting the perps that drop them off, any suggestions? Cristy, I'd consider some sort of barter system if you have any suggestions. LOL

First-thank you for being kind enough to feed them, a lot wouldn't. It's not just happening on you farm, sadly, it's happening to many. I just wish those who did this could be caught, but even if they were the laws are still to lax to make any difference, imo. I don't have a solution, sorry, but if I did come upon someone doing this you'd hear about it in the news because I'd be shooting them! I hate those who think animals are disposable and think that someone else should care for their throw aways.