I anxiously awaited the delivery of my green bin and ran out and bought some cellulose recycleable bags in anticipation of it's arrival. The day of delivery, I read the instructions and realized that I had the wrong bags but kept them anyway. Then I ran out to the store the pamphlet told me to go to and bought the brand they recommended and used them until I ran out. In a pinch, I used the "no name" bags I had initially bought. Well, I put my garbage out in the morning of collection day as usual and then went out for a walk. When I came back, not only was my green bin laying on it's side in the middle of my laneway, but the bag was thrown halfway up the walkway. WTF?????

Screw the green bin...I am back to putting everything in a garbage bag. It was easier and they took it without question.

Way to go City of Ottawa...force me to buy from companies you are obviously in kahoots with!!! Not this chick!

Good for you hun!!! And if you think about it, if you put your scraps in the "unacceptable" biodegradable bag and trash it, you know that it will break down and become worm food anyhow... so no harm no foul.

So true Leber....I am sick of this crap. I don't even think they actually even recycle anything. They dump it in a land fill and whatever breaks down does and the rest just sits there. Lies...they are telling us lies.

So far, they take without question in my area (Jeanne D'Arc and Champlain). I don't use recommended bag, what I use is biodegradable plastic bag from Glad. It has turqoise colour.

Fellow CERBites (Ottawa and area),

I also do not like being told by City Hall where I have to buy things to make their life easier and they still charge us for the service. Since the Ottawa program started, for the large bag in the green bin, I have been using the regular large paper bags used to collect leaves and other yard waste. I was worried about leakage and the paper becoming too soft and then breaking open. Ugh! However, collections are weekly and so far the workers have always taken the contents of the bin without any mishaps. Don't give up on the program Meg, simply outsmart the "system" and still do it your way!

I don't use recommended bag, what I use is biodegradable plastic bag from Glad. It has turqoise colour.

That is the type of bag that they threw on my walkway, and I live not too far from you!

I put mine out every 2 weeks, I don't think a weekly pick up is necessary.

The food scraps I put in the paper bag (2 litre size). The green bin was a little smelly but just rinsed out with garden hose and little soap.

The trucks that pick up the organic waste are to traveling to a compost depot in the city.

I try and do my part, after all the costs associated with it, are coming out of my taxes.

The green bins have been used for go-carts as well as coolers.