HIV Positive Ottawa Man Having Unprotected Sex

If he knowingly failed to communicate his condition then he should be charged with attempted murder, at the very least. Someone will eventually come out with the typical "well, his victims should have had protected sex," and they should have, but that doesn't reduce the heinous nature of what this creature did. If there is a Hell, he should prepare to start getting his mail there.

well thats one name and face I'll burn into my memory...sick. ppl like that should get a death sentance. and even if sex is protected theres no chance that its 100% safe, as we all know. so many people claim they have been safe after realizing they have contracted a STI...but there are many factors that could lead to transmitting.....it just makes my head spin that someone would knowingly do this.

They say it was a bold move for them to post his pic and name on a related site but I feel that this was appropriate for any girl who unknowingly came in sexual contact with him who hasn't yet got tested...how horrible!

If he knowingly failed to communicate his condition then he should be charged with attempted murder, at the very least.

According to the article he did it knowingly and he is being charged with aggravated sexual assault.

They say it was a bold move for them to post his pic and name on a related site but I feel that this was appropriate for any girl who unknowingly came in sexual contact with him who hasn't yet got tested...how horrible!

The article only mentioned any guy, to the authorities knowledge he was only looking for homosexual encounters. Good point though.

Guest S***e

I'm glad to see the authorities had the foresight to release his photograph to the media as a matter of urgent public health.

Spike

While I believe that it is a heinous crime to knowingly spread HIV, and I don't believe in blaming victims, I think it's important to point out that this IS 2010. We DO know how HIV is spread, and how it can be prevented. I am shocked by the number of people who will accept the words, "I'm clean" from a partner as enough evidence that it is safe to engage in unprotected sex acts.

I love casual sex, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I also love the feeling of skin on skin, and condoms, dental dams etc are not the most comfortable things in the world, but they are necessary. I would never combine causal sex and unprotected sex. That's just irresponsible and self-destructive.

My heart goes out to the victims of this agressor, and to their partners who may have believed they were in trusting, monogamous relationships. However, I cannot be convinced that they became victims without some degree of consent. It is each person's own responsibility to educate themselves, protect themselves from sexually transmitted infections, and to maintain communication with their partners about the methods they are using and the other partners they see.

If this man had secretly removed his condoms right before coming, then I would be a lot angrier. The fact is, that I know a few gay guys who routinely have unprotected sex with other men and pity me because I have to be worried about getting pregnant! There is still no cure or vaccine for HIV, and we all know that. It is each individual's responsibility to keep themself safe.

True, condoms are not 100% effective, but they work a lot better than conversations like, "Have you been tested?" "Sure baby, now take your pants off..." The best way to reduce your risk of transmitting HIV is assuming that all of your partners have it (unless you're both tested and monogamous/fluid-bonded). Many people are frightened to disclose their HIV+ status because of the stigma which is so rampant and destructive. If you can't handle the idea that a casual sex partner may be HIV+, then maybe you shouldn't be sleeping with them.