Ottawa Hotel Rates Tips/Secrets ?

Hi All,

I have been commuting to Ottawa for over a year and half. Although I have a fantastic corporate rate at the Marriott on Kent depending on what gov't events are on it is frequently sold out. I often find myself staying at the Westin, Courtyard, Fairmont, Crowne and Sheraton at significantly higher rates. I have stayed at the Minto and Les Suites but I prefer points programs

Are there any local secrets/tips people want to share ? I have used priceline and copycraigs to get discount rates in the past but would prefer not use them for points purposes.

As I travel quite a bit I can usually get fantastic rates in most cities but Ottawa has to be one of the more difficult places to get good rates. Well, at the big chains at least.

Advice, Suggestions? Thoughts?

hnh

Additional Comments:

Well just to add some more info I guess. These are the rates I have been paying:

Courtyard: $129-$155

Westin: $125-$190 (through copycraigs for the cheaper rates)

Crowne: $135-$160

Fairmont: $165

Residence Inn: $169

Holiday Inn (Gatineau): $110-$129

As someone who travels allot, all I can recommend is booking as far in advance as you can. Book the cheapest room and when you check in ask for a corner room (larger) as well as ask nicely for the upgrade. If you are a status collecting points person, 90% of hotels will give you something. Plus let them know you travel often, hotels love to compete for your business and may honor another hotels lower rate.

I also, find booking over the phone may get you a better price, especially with Hilton and Starwood hotels. Sometimes they will throw in a food/beverage credit as well.

I hope this helps,

Em

Guest c******n****h

I would also recomend that you call the hotel directly and speak to a manager. Tell them you travel often and would like to use their hotel. If they are not too busy, you should be able to get some form of discounted rate. If the hotel is jammed, then you are probably out of luck anyway. Loyalty can also be rewarded when a hotel is overbooked. I have been able to get a room at the hotel I use in Toronto only because I have stayed there so often.

WOW!!!

You pay really good rates !

I'm a little annoyed right now..

I have paid up to $269 + tax at the Marriott on Kent.

$219 + tax at the Crowne Plaza

Oh and the Westen.. Lets not even go there..

WHATS YOUR SECRET??!

:shock::shock:

priceline and copycraigs..

If you use priceline, just put in 50% to 70% off what you normally pay for that particular hotel. In the case of the Marriott or Westin for example I have won with $100USD on the bids... the only catch is that you don't what hotel you are bidding for.

The nice thing about Ottawa is there are not many 4 Star hotels so if you choose that as an option then you are almost guaranteed the Westin, Marriott or Fairmont.. if you win of course..

There a couple things I do but can't post these ... sorry!

WOW!!!

You pay really good rates !

I'm a little annoyed right now..

I have paid up to $269 + tax at the Marriott on Kent.

$219 + tax at the Crowne Plaza

Oh and the Westen.. Lets not even go there..

WHATS YOUR SECRET??!

:shock::shock:

Don't feel bad.. took me a while to find ways to get those rates..

but I know there are still some more tricks.. ;)

I feel so ripped off, lol. :neutral:

I have used priceline once before and got totally screwed and tattooed by them. When I arrived at the hotel their rate was so much better then priceline and I was told by priceline that they had the better rate and I would be given $100 if I could prove them wrong. I did and I had that sad story blah blah blah.

Never trust priceline for any thing, I learned my lesson.

Sorry I'm using your thread for rant

No worries...

I have had good luck with them but prefer not to use them since you don't know the hotel name until you win the bidding.

I have used priceline once before and got totally screwed and tattooed by them. When I arrived at the hotel their rate was so much better then priceline and I was told by priceline that they had the better rate and I would be given $100 if I could prove them wrong. I did and I had that sad story blah blah blah.

Never trust priceline for any thing' date=' I learned my lesson.

Sorry I'm using your thread for rant[/quote']

I did want to make another thread about Ottawa hotels.

I got quoted $400 for Crown from copycraigs but I am travelling with a friend so the rate seems high. so now I am thinking my travel buddy will have to pay for their own rate while I pay for my own.

I am hoping for something under $150 a night.

Sorry I missed your reply Riley.. pm next time.. I might be able to help you access better rates ;) as long you share secret of hotels when you run into some. $400 is nuts!

Question!

I use a pre-paid credit card which most hotels do not accept for incidentals. If I book through hotwire or priceline and then show up and don't have a "valid credit card" but offer cash (which most hotels do not accept) as a deposit.. Would this work?

Probably not right?

Every hotel will accept cash. If you book on hotwire or Priceline the room is already pre-paid, so when you check in you will have to leave a deposit for incidentals. ($50-$100). You can always say when you check in that your CC is at the limit and you would like to pay cash for your stay upfront.

I can't see why any hotel, would refuse your cash. Money is Money.

Emily is correct, you can always make you deposit with cash, i've done this at many hotels in the city because my card usually is maxed! I usually book through hotels.ca and get great rates, I love that site.

Posted via Mobile Device

Damn, I have never had an issue getting a 3 and half, or 4 star hotel in Ottawa for less than $120. The only exception was the Westin on Canada Day, but that was special. Even then I got a fairly reasonable rate for a room with a hell of a view. Most of these hotels also do day-rooms for $100 or less, depending on the time of year. Hotwire and Priceline. Use them wisely and you should be OK.

I like priceline/hotwire & copycraigs but I also enjoy getting points and 'status' since they will automatically upgrade you.

I have been able to get fantastic rates with certain memberships. The most obvious one is CAA which I use at leat 75% of the time. The membership is .$40/year. I usually get that back on my first discount night. I do about 120+ nights a year in various chains. They all offer CAA discounts. If you go to marriott.com and put CAA in the corp code you can see the rates at all the Ottawa hotels. It varies from week to week but the Marriott near Kent as an example get me rate from $108 to $149. You'll need a cc to book (hold the room) but you can pay cash when you arrive. All the Holiday Inn (Priority Club/Crowne Plaza Brands) offer CAA rates as does Sheraton (Westin). On their wesbites they also offer packages from a total cost perspective are phenomenal. Free SPA packages, gas cards, pay for two get three nights etc.

I have platinum status with Marriott and Priority Club. They email me special platinum rates on a regular basis which are fantastic! Not to mention arrival gifts, free internet and long distance and lounge access.

There are a few other 'secret' codes which I would prefer not to post publically but they are not hard to find. pm if you want more info.

Hotels also operate in a very similar fashion to Airlines. The further in advance you book the easier access you have to get to the cheaper room blocks. Most, if not all the chains have 'same day of arrival cancellation' if you book via their website. I usually book a whole bunch of rooms weeks if not months out on days I might be arriving. If my plans change it's one click to cancel with no penalty.

I have used the entertainment books as well but I can't be bothered with the coupons. There are much easier ways to find the same rates.