Exercise and Getting Out There

Guest f***2f***

Well I've decided to start a new regime. Exercise, try to eat a little better...drop those nagging extra pounds...you know how it goes...gotta look good in my speedo!! lol

At the urging of friends, family and a couple of my good SP friends I'm getting myself in motion.

Walking (knees are shot can't run anymore) 40 mins every second day to start.

Push ups.....try to keep getting another one out

Sit ups....same thing.

Free weights eventually.

What's your regime?? How do you motivate yourself??

Any tips?:confused:

PS On my walk this morning I noticed some nice ladies walking and jogging too...they all smiled and returned my pleasant "Good Morning."

Tips -- Do something every day, even a small amount. Make exercise part of your daily routine. Eventually, it will feel odd if you think of *not* doing it.

Start small, if you go crazy into it you will quit before you see any results.

As well set small goals and reward yourself when you reach them.

Change the exercise up every week (challenges the body and keeps you motivated

Think positive....

Also a fitness community is always helpful like sparkpeople.com or livestrong.com (they are full of support, recipes and motivation)

)

Guest S******s*m
Start small, if you go crazy into it you will quit before you see any results.

As well set small goals and reward yourself when you reach them.

Change the exercise up every week (challenges the body and keeps you motivated

Think positive....

)

Depends on what motivates you... I have a dog so the need to get out and move around is always present - a great way to keep fit... and meet ladies at the park :D

If you're not into a dog commitment (and it's a big one), write up on your calendar/agenda your goals for the week and go for it - Emily said it so well - reward yourself when you meet your goals.

Good walking/exercising!

A training partner or coach would make things much much easier.

A coach or personal trainer would also be able to tailor a regime for you. For example you seem to be missing cardio (swimming or biking are easy on the knees) and crunches have long substituted sit-ups especially for those with back-pain.

Another thing to consider is flexibility. Yoga is great for this and the women...... :wink:

Walking first thing in the am, around 600ish every 2nd day as well, on the day I'm not walking, I will bike about 5 kilometers. Now that pool is up and running, a quick few laps after walk or biking.

I'm trying but it is hard at times especially when you hit that 50 + mark, and you like to indulge with drinks,foods etc, and you can get you ass motivated at times:butt:

Guest f***2f***

yeah for sure. Yes I am going to do stationary bike every day I'm not walking but Im starting that in a couple of weeks when my muscles stop complaining about the walk lol.

yes for sure crunchs are good,,,,thanks folks for all the tips.

Getting active might be hard at first. Don't make it work, or punish yourself. Get into it slowly and have fun doing so. If you feel like it's a punishment, or boring you'll lose interest quickly. And like someone has already suggested, finding a healthy reward will keep you motivated.

Guest Ou**or**n

A couple of tips:

Log your eating and calculate your daily calorie intake. There are some websites that simplify this such as FitDay and Livestrong. Logging your food and seeing the calories teaches you a lot about which foods to avoid. Also the act of logging itself helps you cut back.

Get a heart rate monitor and use it on your walks and stationary bike workouts. You need to get your heart rate up if the exercise is going to be effective.

Concentrate on burning more calories per day than your eating if losing weight is your main goal. Don't worry about crunches until you have lost most of the excess weight as your abs won't show anyway. Push-ups are good for arms and chest but it takes a good gym setup to do enough strength training to make a big difference.

Stick to it - it's really hard to get started, and even harder to keep going. After a while though, it becomes easy to do and you'll actually miss it if you don't do it (whatever it is).

Once you've managed to make it a solid habit, try not to skip it... it only takes an "I'll do it tomorrow" and "I can skip today" a few times here and there before you're right back to square one and it's not a habit anymore (funny how easy it is to start bad habits but the good ones are killers!)

Even when you're on vacation, squeeze in some of your routine.

I'm on the Body By Vi weight-loss Challenge. meal replacement for breakfast and lunch...which I rarely have time for so its very convienient for me. I lessen my portions at dinner with their meal-plans accoding to my calorie intake and I set a daily routine of walking and jogging with the excercise routines provided. Very cheap and not to mention that if you logg your progress and stick to it you could win cash prizes or even a cruise. PM me if you'd like some info.

I picked up an ab-roller recently for $10 at Value Village....its actualy pretty good! I find myself doing double the crunches I used to..and with ease!

A close friend has also lent me a resistance band kit....and wow! 10 minutes a day can really help you target all sorts of zones...10 minutes? we have no excuses!

between work and my 9-year old I dont have much time for gym memberships but I find that knowing your daily calorie intake and paying attention to whats in what you eat works wonders...along with staying active daily. :-)

paying attention to whats in what you eat works wonders...along with staying active daily. :-)

Now that is sound advice, I really like what I like to eat:69:

and I try staying active daily:jackoff: If not a couple of times a week, which also really burns the calorie intake:bddog:

:mrgreen::wink::grin: LOL

Guest S***e

Here's what's worked for me: After getting a medical clearance, I established some reasonable and attainable goals, assessed those activities I liked to do, put a plan into effect which included the basic components of fitness (muscle strenth, muscle endurance, cardio-pulmonary endurance, flexibility, healthy body weight and sensible nutritional practises). I included regular strength training, aerobic activity (running, cycling, inline skating), flexibility and core strengthing through Hatha yoga and stretching, and started to use many of the cook books offered (diabetic and heart healthy etc.). My activities are varied and are moderated in that I don't take off for a very long run the day after a very long bike ride...I try to be sensible. I built in adequate rest periods/days through periodization. It's served me well all these years keeping injuries to a minimum and boredom from setting in. If one overdoes it, then one tends to not go back to being active so moderation is very important for me. It has become a regular component of my lifestyle and has kept me sane in troubled times. I like training alone especially in the Gatineau Park, yet some people need or want to train in groups or clubs which is fine for motivation and mutual support. The main thing is to be realistic about it all and think in terms of "functional fitness" as it pertains to activities of daily life. I'm in my 60s and the Olympics are not on my radar screen. Enjoy your journey and have fun!