Winnipeg Working Group presents What to Expect from C-36

Hi all, we're putting on an event on December 17, International Day Against Violence Against Sex Workers.

We will be providing practical information on what C-36 means, including printed resources and a Q&A session. This event is open to the public, and we encourage sex workers, clients, allies, public health workers, and anyone who is interested in this to attend (you won't out yourself as a client or worker just by showing up.)

Please check the link below for detailed information about the event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/546273775505552/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

• Like 1

Thanks for this, Regent.

I don't mean to make people wince, but given the recent statements issued by Vancouver and Victoria police departments, as well as the letter written to the Ontario Premier by Toronto city council, is there any chance of successfully inviting the WPS chief to comment on the priorities of his department in enforcement of the new bill?

I've seen the Facebook page but I'm not clear on who's speaking...

Well I don't know about the Chief being there but Im willing to bet there will be members there lurking around . Taking notice of who is in attendance etc.

Dunno maybe Im just becoming paranoid !

• Like 1

I don't think we'll be inviting police to speak or attend, but we will be doing our best to get accurate and up to date information on law enforcement priorities in Winnipeg and specifically for the "Counter Exploitation" Unit, to share with everyone. We're still organizing speakers.

bubba101, I wouldn't worry too much about being seen at this event - it will be a very mixed crowd with lots of people who aren't sex workers or clients in attendance. But, if you don't feel comfortable attending, we will be providing resources during and afterwards.

You could ask for input from the city council. For Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria it has been the city's decision to protest C36 and suggest that LE does not enforce. The VPD is different in that talks have gone on over several years with sex worker groups in order for them to come up with their new policies regarding sps.

So after a great number of calls and attempts to engage city officials via social media, I was able to talk to someone at the Counter Exploitation Unit. Sounds like Winnipeg does not yet have a position on exactly how these laws will be enforced but should have more concrete information in a couple of weeks, after a meeting with the Crown.

So it will likely be business as usual in Winnipeg for the next little bit, as they've been applying enforcement in an asymmetrical way is similar to the new laws anyway.

• Like 2