How do you pronounce the word "CERB"?

CERB - do you pronounce it "curb" or "serb".

Since it's a "hard" C (Canadian), it would make sense to pronounce it as "curb".

However almost everyone I have met, pronounces it "serb".

Maybe I have waaaay to much time on my hands, but am I the only one who has ever thought about it? :handjob:

Here is the thread...

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10269&highlight=pronounce+cerb

CERB - do you pronounce it "curb" or "serb".

Since it's a "hard" C (Canadian), it would make sense to pronounce it as "curb".

However almost everyone I have met, pronounces it "serb".

Maybe I have waaaay to much time on my hands, but am I the only one who has ever thought about it? :handjob:

I believe the correct pronunciation would be "the place where all the hot ladies hang out."

But serb, really???? I have seen no one here that resembles Slobodan Milosevic. No one yet has been talking about the onset of the Great War in 1914. No one has yet said, "let's kill the Bosnians."

Ohhhhh... all of you veterans may call it SERB if you will.... but in my feeble, weak and over imaginative brain... it will always be KERB.

Ohhhhh... all of you veterans may call it SERB if you will.... but in my feeble, weak and over imaginative brain... it will always be KERB.

Too funny old dog:lol:

I follow the convention of 'serb' akin to the use of the 'c' in the word 'central' or 'sentral'. I wouldn't pronounce it 'suntral', with the 'cu' example you used for 'curb'.

I follow the convention of 'serb' akin to the use of the 'c' in the word 'central' or 'sentral'. I wouldn't pronounce it 'suntral', with the 'cu' example you used for 'curb'.

Alright lad... but if you pronounce it like William Wallace, Robbie Burns or Robert the Bruce... all great men who wore short skirts... it would be KERB as in Celtic.

And who am I to argue with an angry Scot!!!

And who am I to argue with an angry Scot!!!
hehe, and nor who am I.

Angela was referring to the 'CA-nadian' hard 'c', as thus I was too.

Don't even get me started on the whole out/oot thing and how Aussies say 'Canadar' with a soft 'r' at the end. :razz: In the end, it's ALL good to me :-)

Toe-mate-toe / Toe-matt-toe!

Angela was referring to the 'CA-nadian' hard 'c', as thus I was too.

Alright... let's travel down that path my friends... Whats more Canadian than a hard "c"....isn't that what we all are working with?? Let's face it, if we didn't have a hard "c" we would all be staying home knitting and playing lawn darts.

The business is all about a hard "c"...

Not necessarily veteran canine. All that is soft does not necessarily become hard, nor the inverse. The intent I believe of our site, with a soft c, is to promote mutual and consensual interactions between individuals, be they of differing genders, or the same gender, or even transgendered.

Now these interactions may start with a soft "c", leading to a hard "c" and then to a deflated "c", and this more than once, twice or even many times, depending on the partners, the environment and the mood!

At other times, and this again depends on the partners, you may always have soft "C"'s which will remain so during the encounter and yet there are moments of tenderness and bliss.

So in conclusion, the hardness or softness of the "c" does not reflect on the enjoyment of the partners! Ah, but then again, I may be proven wrong.

Mutau... you have gone all ethereal on me!!!!!

I may have to change my entire life now.

Up has become down, black has become white... oh how this thread doth vex me!!!!

Well now Old Dog, I certainly did not want to ruin your day, but our quite wonderful community is made up of much more than just hard "c"s. In fact I do believe that "c"s or "C"s come in all shapes, sizes and degrees of hardness or softness depending on gender and the moment. At times is it not the hardening of the "c" which causes great pleasure while at other times it is the softening of the "c" which leads to ecstacy. Perhaps it is the swinging of the pendulum, so to speak, and that movement from soft to hard and back again, and perhaps a repitition or more of this movement, which causes such happiness for amorous partners! ;-)

• Like 1

Well now Old Dog, I certainly did not want to ruin your day, but our quite wonderful community is made up of much more than just hard "c"s. In fact I do believe that "c"s or "C"s come in all shapes, sizes and degrees of hardness or softness depending on gender and the moment. At times is it not the hardening of the "c" which causes great pleasure while at other times it is the softening of the "c" which leads to ecstacy. Perhaps it is the swinging of the pendulum, so to speak, and that movement from soft to hard and back again, and perhaps a repitition or more of this movement, which causes such happiness for amorous partners! ;-)

Ahhhh my mind is so in the gutter:bowdown:

Okay... I will capitulate to the masses. It will now be a soft "c" in my mind....

I won't even ask about making the "b" at the end of the word silent... cuz that would be dum"b".

S-e-r-b, just ask your SP you are with, to put her lips together and blow :),and say serb in your ear, not curb...that is too loud:mrgreen:

Love the new avatar OD!

Thanks Mutau!!! I was just surfing and found it.... Muttley was a childhood hero!!!

Cerb - Serb - certainly, according to every sp who uttered the magic word to me.

Well acronyms aren't supposed to keep the original pronunciation when you make a new word. It's supposed to be a new word that's made from the letters. So cerb would have a soft c, as in serb.

I will continue to pronounce it SERB as well. Thanks for the feedback, gang!

Guest S***e

It doesn't matter to me either way as it's like "Fight Club." I don't talk about it.