Well 1 insane day of G20 is over and another one is starting. I for one will be SO happy when this madness is done.

It started weeks ago and I knew things were getting crazy when I arrived home 2 weeks ago and myself along with 100 others were searched while waiting for our luggage at the baggage claim. Pearson airport most days is a gong show, this made it even worse. At this point I decided to stay in the city for the remainder of the month, as I for one do not wished to be searched again by RUDE and Arrogant RCMP.

I live 2 blocks from where the G20 is taking place. I am outside the fenced area, but my neighborhood has more police than civilians in it right now. I have seen the police on the water pull over a water plane. Peoples coffees dumped on the street (they were drinking from them), groceries searched and packages opened (don't see how a box of sealed chicken could be an issue). Can one explain why in addition to boats and water crafts that we need seadoo's with police? Not seeing the purpose of this.

Toronto looked like a war torn country yesterday. In my 10 years of living here I have never seen anything like the aftermath of yesterday here. They bolted down all the manhole covers, yet protesters were seen climbing out of them last night.

We have been advised not to order take out or have company over. Not to leave the property without id and basically to stay home, but then encouraged (by the mayor) to go to city events away from the G20 summit area. Is the guy on CRACK?

I feel for the business owners, who's buildings that got vandalized and trashed yesterday (they seemed to have it out for Starbucks) as it is doubtful that insurance will cover it and the federal government will not compensate them. Why is it OUR problem for something the government created? No one asked for the summit to be held here.

They knew this summit would bring protesters, yet they proceeded to hold it in downtown Toronto. WHY?WHY?WHY? People have the right to protest and stand up for what they believe in, yet with protests comes violent groups. There is ALWAYS a bad apple in the group in any situation.

All they keep saying on the news is that the hotels are sold out and the city is making money, yet what about all the business that have lost money since Wednesday?

I am safe and surviving but not a happy camper (thank-you to all of you who have contacted me), but I live facing the lake so unless I turn on the TV I do not have to look at the insanity going on a couple blocks away.

Emily

• Like 2

Babe , I feel your pain

I wish I'd had invited you to Mississauga.

I knew this was going to happen ,

I have a Client in involved with the security .

I can say any more then that .PM you

Have to agree do not know what there thoughts were to have this in the heart of the biggest city in Canada, just glad it was not held in Ottawa.

Like they said on TV why spend so much money to hold this thing? I feel for the people living near by and for all the businesses.

Glad that you are safe Emily that is the main thing.:wink: and so are others that wanted nothing to do with it and had to put up with the inconvenience.

My take on it...

vandalism- those that destroyed property should be strung up by the ankles and slapped silly!Then do the time for the crime, hope they all get caught- "pricks"

peaceful demonstrators- I have no issue with "peaceful" demonstrations, we had them in Vancouver during the Olympics.

Tell us your reasons for demonstration, act accordingly but why destroy property?

G-20 summit held in Canada- It was basically our turn to host, so the Fed's did, dropped a SHIT load of money and we look like a terrible after yesterday. Hope this all ends very quickly.

My take at the very beginning when i heard this was going to be in toronto before i moved over to ottawa still stands.

they should have chosen different city other than toronto in the first place. The smart ass mayor knows the city is in heavy debt and choses to host this kind of event. Its not like this kind of event will or lure tourists therefore make the city money, IT IS A POLITICAL EVENT, they rarely do.

Then you hear how much was spent on security alone. Well the city councils will say its not them paying the bulk of it but also the provincial and federal. Well, no matter what how much the city is involved, its just never going to re-coup that money back but just bring in more devastation in communities and produce a terrible image for the city after all the ad campaigns that went on the last few years about how nice the city is.

Basically the mayor is at fault for this. i know what he was trying to do is for a good will and end is tenure in the right way. But i think he needs to look into his council first , there are just too much of them for so and so district. Stop getting suppress by their increasing wage demands and perks. Its only in this line of government workers you see the fastest rise in pay and perks than even the public. Cut all that first. then you can hold viable events for the city and see if that makes money.

agencies with in the fenced off area are getting almost no business. But they say independent SP's have an increase in business outside the fenced area as they advertise in newspapers and the web.

I was just wondering if the independts on here outside the fenced off area have actually increase in clientele?

Well said Emily:

Many people question the credibility of these summits mainly because pledges made in the past have failed miserably to materialise.

If we were to allow them the benefit of the doubt we may think that some good may come of them, in the longer term. But there are so many vested interests at stake which are in conflict with the publicly stated aims of the summits.

It remains to be seen what will come of the stated objectives of this one.

The other, and perhaps more major question with respect to this particular summit, is exactly what you point out - the choice of location in the downtown city core and the lack of accountability on behalf of the Feds for what everyone knew would happen.

And then there is the cost. Because it is a HUGE cost and in terms of protecting the downtown businesses the much vaunted security arrangements can only be seen as another failure.

Thanks for this post Emily.

I think the world economy is such a big issue that there will be an agreement. The biggest fear seems to be where to set the bar as some countries are afraid they will be unable to meet it. If your country can't cut it's deficit by 50% and all the other ones do, guess which country's financial system will collapse. Unfortunately, like in many other things, it takes a crisis to force collective action. I would never expect the G20 or any other like group to act proactively in the interest of all at the expense of it's self interest.

The organizers of the demonstration must take control of their demonstrators. They gotta keep the criminals away. Their motive is to voice their concerns.

I hope everyone learn something from this. Maybe, the future meetings should be held in smaller cities or towns. Less people will be affected. And we can keep the cost at a minimum.

Guest S******s*m
I hope everyone learn something from this. Maybe, the future meetings should be held in smaller cities or towns. Less people will be affected. And we can keep the cost at a minimum.

Until we can see the benefits of the G20, maybe they don't need to make such a big deal out of the gathering and keep it low key (if they need to hold it at all). That's what happens when the media makes a mountain out of a moe (sp?) hill. The demonstrators feed on this and impacts a lot of people.

We can be thankful when nothing serious happens. Keep safe out there!

agencies with in the fenced off area are getting almost no business. But they say independent SP's have an increase in business outside the fenced area as they advertise in newspapers and the web.

I was just wondering if the independts on here outside the fenced off area have actually increase in clientele?

In all honesty I do not think there really are that many indpendants or agencies that are working this wekeend. with all the drama going on everywhere is downtown, it seems like a bit more of a risk than usual to be working in downtown Toronto. Just my thoughts....

Until we can see the benefits of the G20, maybe they don't need to make such a big deal out of the gathering and keep it low key (if they need to hold it at all). That's what happens when the media makes a mountain out of a moe (sp?) hill. The demonstrators feed on this and impacts a lot of people.

We can be thankful when nothing serious happens. Keep safe out there!

The Gxx get-together will never go away anytime soon. Honestly, I do believe there are something good that come out of these meetings. The leaders don't just drop things, and prepare and attend these types of meetings. We want everyone to play fair and at the same time look after their own interests.

G20 is too big. Too many leaders coming to town is always expensive, 1billion dollars expensive.

This morning, I saw rubber bullets and tear gas canisters fired on a street that I lived on up until June 3rd, some 24 days ago. That street is nowhere near any G20 events and a good 2 or 3 km east of downtown. When I think about the possibility of my three-year-old son being exposed to tear gas this morning, it absolutely infuriates me.

Do I blame the cops? Of course not, in fact I think they've shown a great deal of restraint. Do I blame the protesters? Definitely not the peaceful protesters, and really not even the violent hooligans. They are pretty much going what they've always done at events like these, and what everybody should have expected. Do I blame the federal government who decided to hold the G20 in what may be the least well suited area in the entire country to host such an event, and literally shoved the G20 down Toronto's throat without consulting any local officials despite the warnings of what would happen? Abso-friggin-lutely!

In all honesty I do not think there really are that many indpendants or agencies that are working this wekeend. with all the drama going on everywhere is downtown, it seems like a bit more of a risk than usual to be working in downtown Toronto. Just my thoughts....

I noticed on CL over the past few days, dozens of ads from Toronto-based SPs who had descended on Ottawa. Cowboy Kenny busted some of them for posting fake pics etc. So we know where the scammers went.

I agree, something like should have been hosted somewhere other than downtown Toronto. Just seems like bad judgment on city council's part.

Ohhh , my God !!

Watch CP 24, There going to some busy Lawyers !!

Here in Toronto !!

The Toronto Police , OPP , And RCMP .

Are treating the citizens of the City of Toronto like Animals !!

Being detained , OUT OF THE FENCED AREA

Stand in the pouring rain , for hour in plastic hand cuffs.

Not being able to go to the washroom , given water.

THIS IS NUTS !!

Ohhh , my God !!

Watch CP 24, There going to some busy Lawyers !!

Here in Toronto !!

The Toronto Police , OPP , And RCMP .

Are treating the citizens of the City of Toronto like Animals !!

Being detained , OUT OF THE FENCED AREA

Stand in the pouring rain , for hour in plastic hand cuffs.

Not being able to go to the washroom , given water.

THIS IS NUTS !!

We are far to easy on protesters in Canada. Perhaps that is why protesting achieves nothing in modern day Canada, there is no consequence to civil disobedience. Protesters get detained for a few hours, get a court date with a token slap on the wrist and let go to do it all over again. For most of the miscreants, it is nothing more than a wekend adventure. For civil disobedience to work, protesters have show they are willing to accept dire consquences for their actions. I'm pretty sure Ghandi and his followers would laugh at out little princess protesters. Perhaps when we start handing out 10 year prison sentence to any anarchist who can be associated with violent acts and other sanctions against protesters who get out of hand, then maybe those who really have something to say will get some attention.

This morning, I saw rubber bullets and tear gas canisters fired on a street that I lived on up until June 3rd, some 24 days ago. That street is nowhere near any G20 events and a good 2 or 3 km east of downtown. When I think about the possibility of my three-year-old son being exposed to tear gas this morning, it absolutely infuriates me.

Do I blame the cops? Of course not, in fact I think they've shown a great deal of restraint. Do I blame the protesters? Definitely not the peaceful protesters, and really not even the violent hooligans. They are pretty much going what they've always done at events like these, and what everybody should have expected. Do I blame the federal government who decided to hold the G20 in what may be the least well suited area in the entire country to host such an event, and literally shoved the G20 down Toronto's throat without consulting any local officials despite the warnings of what would happen? Abso-friggin-lutely!

nominated but what do all the master earth proprietors do?

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest s******ecan****

These meetings have become a kind of travelling road show with the same cast of characters everytime; World Leaders, bureaucrats, media, protestors, and of the main act a handful of anarchists and the security forces.

They have become a bloated, expensive, and predictable spectacle that nobody wants (except the participants).

It seems the only real beneficiaries of this event are the private security firms (whom I'm sure made out like bandits) and the City of Huntsville which managed to get a federal stimulus plan worthy of developing nation.

Time to end the preening and frivolity by all the members of the roadshow.

We are far to easy on protesters in Canada. Perhaps that is why protesting achieves nothing in modern day Canada, there is no consequence to civil disobedience. Protesters get detained for a few hours, get a court date with a token slap on the wrist and let go to do it all over again. For most of the miscreants, it is nothing more than a wekend adventure. For civil disobedience to work, protesters have show they are willing to accept dire consquences for their actions. I'm pretty sure Ghandi and his followers would laugh at out little princess protesters. Perhaps when we start handing out 10 year prison sentence to any anarchist who can be associated with violent acts and other sanctions against protesters who get out of hand, then maybe those who really have something to say will get some attention.

Agree! What have the protesters achieved now that another G20 meeting is over? Some people simply have too much time.

One of the things that bothers me the most, was when the Toronto police chief was on the news and said he was surprised by the violence and rage with the protesters.

The things is, where past G20 summits held in other city's not an indication of what to expect?

We are really lucky that worse damage was not done or that people were not seriously injured.

Guest f***2f***

The whole thing was a gong show....It was the PM that decided Toronto and then made everyone else dance.....not a good decision.

I was waiting on the tarmac at Pearson for 2 hours last night while the VIPs got priority for their planes to leave....not happy either but at least I didn't get strip searched....grrr

Quote from Rickoshadow:

"We are far to easy on protesters in Canada. Perhaps that is why protesting achieves nothing in modern day Canada, there is no consequence to civil disobedience. Protesters get detained for a few hours, get a court date with a token slap on the wrist and let go to do it all over again. For most of the miscreants, it is nothing more than a wekend adventure. For civil disobedience to work, protesters have show they are willing to accept dire consquences for their actions. I'm pretty sure Ghandi and his followers would laugh at out little princess protesters. Perhaps when we start handing out 10 year prison sentence to any anarchist who can be associated with violent acts and other sanctions against protesters who get out of hand, then maybe those who really have something to say will get some attention."

Daddio's comment:

There is a huge difference between civil disobedience and anarchists who can be associated with violent acts. You can't generalise like that.

Ghandi engaged in civil disobedience. That was the essence of his movement. In fact his "salt march" broke the law. And it was very effective.

We are a very privileged country and we are a democratic country, notwithstanding Harper's erosion of our democratic rights.

With privilege comes responsibility, responsibility to observe the rule of law which requires the punishment to fit the crime.

I think a balanced view of the protests would lead most Canadians to conclude that many, many "innocent" protesters did indeed accept the consequences of their actions, being handcuffed, punched, kicked and detained.

"Dire" consequences - "10 year sentences." That is an extreme point of view and one I believe most Canadians do not share. It would have a "chill" effect on protests and from what you say I take it that you are not against protests in principle.

"Dire" consequences - "10 year sentences." That is an extreme point of view and one I believe most Canadians do not share. It would have a "chill" effect on protests and from what you say I take it that you are not against protests in principle.

I reserved 10 year sentences for the Anarchists who can be proven to have commited violent acts and random vandalism.

Appropriate sanctions for others who get stupid.

And no, I am not against protests, and I believe they have a place in our democracy, but what we are getting now are protests as a form of weekend recreation, for every fringe cause someone can think up. Perhaps if protestors have to answer for any damage and inconveince to other law abiding citizens, maybe some of these casues may not be worth the effort and expense.

Exactly, just look back from the NHL play-offs, in Montreal... was it totally necessary for fans to behave in the streets that way?? For what... celebrating??

rickoshadows is correct..inconvience of other law abiding citizens.

and

"Appropriate sanctions for others who get stupid."

I can remember walking down Bank street from Lansdowne Park after the 1988 Grey Cup game in Ottawa.

Everyone behaved there was no destruction, there certainly was a lot people partying and drinking while bar hopping ALL THE WAY DOWNTOWN.

I just don't get some people, that want to destroy property.