Thank you for sharing this. All the old cliches and adages about beauty being skin-deep and real beauty being in self-confidence and a good character are true. Sometimes we forget this. Men are told to be manly and have a certain physique and women are told to be feminine and have a certain physique, but we often forget to just be ourselves and embrace the joy and freedom that comes with that.

• Like 2

I too say we can never hear messages like this one often enough. Thank you WhiteKnight for being thoughtful and posting it.

I love how Dove is advertising and empowering women, however, I can't promote their product because they test on animals.

Back to the subject at hand-I was raised to be modest, admitting such things as one being beautiful, smart, talented, etc was being vain or boasting. I now realize that isn't the case, there is a difference and although I've never considered myself beautiful, physically, I'd still walk through the beautiful door because I know I'm not average either and that these descriptions represent far more than the physical.

The nice thing about getting older is, at least in my case, that my confidence is growing, that, or maybe it's the fact that I am just caring less about what others standards are and what others say:)

• Like 1

What a fabulous article.

All women are beautiful in their own unique way. No one should dictate how women should look.

When you are comfortable in your own skin, you are beautiful :-)

• Like 1

When you are comfortable in your own skin, you are beautiful :-)

So true. I can't fully know the impact seeing photoshopped women all day have on other women, but I can say that it has also a negative impact on some men. Being fed unrealistic expectations robs us from enjoying the beauty, inside and out, all around us.

A lady once told me that she finds something attractive in every man she meets; I do the same (with women I mean :) ). Another lady told me not be to shy to say what I enjoy and find beautiful about someone. I also do now.

Putting a smile on their lips and a twinkle in their eyes is the kind of sunshine I can enjoy everyday :)

• Like 1

So true. I can't fully know the impact seeing photoshopped women all day have on other women

Also on men. Not in the context you mentioned about it creating unrealistic standards for men to look for in women, but I mean that men are also very subject to bombardment of unrealistic bodytypes. Everywhere you see men with lithe and athletic bodies which are also often photoshopped - though to a lesser degree.

The real tragedy is that many men buy into the new beauty standard, and so do many women. It's a two sided issue, as most things are.

Unfortunately the word "Beautiful" has come to be used only to refer to someone's physical appearance and while I agree it can be an effective descriptor of physically appealing characteristics I personally have refused to use it to describe just someone's physical appearance...

For me to consider someone truly beautiful I have to also consider their non-physical traits... their personality... their character... their integrity ... those inner things that actually make them who they are..

I have met many people over the years who were physically appealing to me but who I after meeting them would not choose to spend time with them however I have never met someone of character and integrity who has impressed me with how they personally carry themselves and live their life who I am not eager to spend more time with. The inner beauty of who a person is is timeless and will always be an attraction to me.

Physical beauty is way more subjective....and unfortunately we are often over influenced by the media and fashion industry's suggestion of what is beautiful. I saw a story on the news this week about an advertising campaign being called "I am no Angel" that takes a poke at Victoria Secret by suggesting that models in the size 14 range are more representative of the average woman then the VS models unrealistic representation... I have to tell you the models in the campaign all looked very sexy to me.

Bottom line for me is I reserve the term "Beautiful" for those people who touch me more deeply then just a physical appearance they need to also touch my emotions.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk