A really great cover can make everyone forget the original:

Aretha Franklin doing Respect, originally by Otis Redding. The song is transformed from a male complaint into a female anthem.

Santana doing Black Magic Woman, originally by Fleetwoood Mac. Add Santana's latin spice and a nice, but pretty basic song is transformed.

Jimi Hendrix' All Along the Watchtower, originally by Bob Dylan. I know there are lot's of Dylan fans, but this is no contest.

Isaac Hayes' Walk on By, originally by Dion Warwick. You cannot help but be taken in by the long version with Isaac's deep baritone.

Then, there's totally original takes:

Toots and the Maytals doing John Denver's Country Roads as a reggae tune. Once you get over the initial shock and stop laughing it's incredible how West Viginia is transformed into West Jamaica.

The Neville Brothers redoing everyone's version (Peggy Lee, Elvis...) of Fever. Insetad of slow and sultry, it's hot and sweaty speeded up with with all those New Orleans rythmns.

Marvin Gaye doing the Beatles Yesterday. This is one of the most recognizable and recorded songs of all time and Marvin manages to imply the melody throughout the song without ever actually singing it once. It's beautiful.

No groundbreaking, just great covers:

Norah Jones and Charlie Hunter doing Nick Drakes The Day is Done. Very, very cool sultry version instead of folky.

Talking Heads doing Al Green's Take Me to the River. New wave meets funk and soul.

Emmy Lou Harris doing the Beatles Here, There and Everywhere. Emmy Lou isn't a prolific writer, so most of what she does is covers and she's a greta interpreter. This is just a very nice and gentle take on the song.

Shelby Lynne doing Dusty Springfield's Just a Little Lovin' in the Mornin'. Slow, slow, slow, all morning long. Could be someone's theme song.

Jim Hendrix doing The Troggs' Wild Thing. It's a garage band rave up and Hendrix just raves it up even more at his breakthrough Monterey Festival appearance!

One of the most famous covers, which I actually hate more than life is Whitney Houston covering Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.

Which reminds me of an awesome cover!

The White Stripes covering Jolene by Dolly Parton.

Though nothing really beats Dolly's haunting soprano background vocals on the original.

Not sure what is considered good music in Bill Shatners world but this cover of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" originally by The Beatles and covered

by Capt. Kirk is unique to say the least! Perhaps if you are on LSD then the cover version is enjoyable???

Frijid Pink doing "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.

But we're going way back to 1971

• Like 1

Oh and because it just came to me, are there any covers that you feel are better than the original?

For me

version of "Last Kiss" is FAR superior to the original by
!

Frijid Pink doing "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.

But we're going way back to 1971

Never heard that version. house of the rising sun is one of my favorites for sure. Once seen a one man band perform it and the guy nailed it. guitar, cymbals on his knees, banging drums with his feet and a harmonica. I'm pretty sure it's a public domain song too - you could record it with full royalties :) - think it's original form is very old - 1800's old. apparently they had houses of the rising sun then too ...

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't add any links but are a few favorites;

Land of Confusion by Genesis covered by Disturbed

Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones covered by The Tea Party

And I agree with Erin that Johnny Cash covering nine Inch nails was brilliant.

I don't know how I overlooked this one. It's an amazing reconception of a worn out classic:

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings doing Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land as an R&B soul blast. They even include some of the more political lyrics, which when left out reduce the song to a glorified travelogue. This version was used in the opening credits of George Clooney's "Up In the Air".

Three versions: studio; live with the typical folky/troubador version followed by the Dap Kings; and acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXapOZt2Yw&feature=related

Never heard that version. house of the rising sun is one of my favorites for sure. Once seen a one man band perform it and the guy nailed it. guitar, cymbals on his knees, banging drums with his feet and a harmonica. I'm pretty sure it's a public domain song too - you could record it with full royalties :) - think it's original form is very old - 1800's old. apparently they had houses of the rising sun then too ...

The Frijjid Pink version was very popular on jukeboxes back in the early 70s in various pool halls all over western Quebec where I grew up.

The Frijjid Pink version was very popular on jukeboxes back in the early 70s in various pool halls all over western Quebec where I grew up.

I really like the Be Good Tanyas version of House of the Rising Sun

And since it made me think of the Animals, let's add their cover of Nina Simone's Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FT4FprxDg

And Muse covering Nina Simone's Feeling Good (though nothing beats the original--Nina is a goddess)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8tuTSi6Sck (original)

I was tempted to put a few Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, but since everything they do is a cover, I elected to leave them out.

Their versions of Blowin' In The Wind, Seasons In The Sun, and Stand By Your Man are classics! I love everything they do.

Another favourite is Richard Cheese. For any who don't know him, he does Vegas lounge singer versions of songs, like:

And

with a very special guest. ;-)

Moving on to other artists:

• Like 1

Nazareth doing This Flight Tonight (Joni Mitchell)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_809EZ6bIA&feature=related

Gotta get me a pair of those chick magnet blue aviators.

Speaking of Joni Mitchell covers, let's not forget the best known: Woodstock by Crosby Stills Nash & Young. Rather than a link to the cover, how about we enjoy the beauty of the oft overlooked original.

Guest S**a*Q
Their versions of Blowin' In The Wind, Seasons In The Sun, and Stand By Your Man are classics! I love everything they do.

Another favourite is Richard Cheese. For any who don't know him, he does Vegas lounge singer versions of songs, like:

And

with a very special guest. ;-)

Moving on to other artists:

Hahaha I love Richard Cheese :) Down with the Sickness is awesome :)

OMG I love covers!! Here's a few of my favorites (only a few, the list is waaayy too long)

White Zombie - I'm Your Boogie Man (Originally KC & The Sunshine Band)

Korn - Kidnap The Sandy Claws (Originally by Danny Elfman for the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_473951&v=rve7Po5aKFw&feature=iv

Ozzy Osbourne and Ms Piggy - Born to Be Wild (Originally by Steppenwolf)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_4mIWw9Dc

Alice Cooper - Fire (Originally by Jimi Hendrix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzcRUTErIg

The Tea Party - Paint It Black (Originally by The Rolling Stones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwSEDE5x2I

Walls of Jericho - House of The Rising Sun (Originally made popular by The Animals, but being a folk song, it's unknown where it originated)

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Black Betty - (Another folk song but made popular by Ram Jam)

Samuel L Jackson - Stack-O-Lee (Yep...another folk song, no idea who did it first, but this video is seriously ass-isted by the sight of a very sexy Christina Ricci shaking her booty all over the damn place!)

J.B.O. - Roots Bloody Roots (Originally by Sepultura, this song is also known online as Sepultura feat. Pavarotti......yep, that Pavarotti)

Social Distortion - Ring Of Fire (Originally by Johnny Cash)

Pride and Glory - The Wizard (Originally by Black Sabbath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jxM9gILmc

and lastly:

Eric Cartman - Come Sail Away (Originally by STYX)

A brilliant acoustic cover of Outkast's Hey Ya by Matt Weddle (aka Obadiah Parker). I believe, first seen on America's Got Talent (not that I've ever watched it :oops:).

OMG I love covers!! Here's a few of my favorites (only a few, the list is waaayy too long)

White Zombie - I'm Your Boogie Man (Originally KC & The Sunshine Band)

Korn - Kidnap The Sandy Claws (Originally by Danny Elfman for the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_473951&v=rve7Po5aKFw&feature=iv

Ozzy Osbourne and Ms Piggy - Born to Be Wild (Originally by Steppenwolf)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_4mIWw9Dc

Alice Cooper - Fire (Originally by Jimi Hendrix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzcRUTErIg

The Tea Party - Paint It Black (Originally by The Rolling Stones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwSEDE5x2I

Walls of Jericho - House of The Rising Sun (Originally made popular by The Animals, but being a folk song, it's unknown where it originated)

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Black Betty - (Another folk song but made popular by Ram Jam)

Samuel L Jackson - Stack-O-Lee (Yep...another folk song, no idea who did it first, but this video is seriously ass-isted by the sight of a very sexy Christina Ricci shaking her booty all over the damn place!)

J.B.O. - Roots Bloody Roots (Originally by Sepultura, this song is also known online as Sepultura feat. Pavarotti......yep, that Pavarotti)

Social Distortion - Ring Of Fire (Originally by Johnny Cash)

Pride and Glory - The Wizard (Originally by Black Sabbath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jxM9gILmc

and lastly:

Eric Cartman - Come Sail Away (Originally by STYX)

It's weird that they're calling the song Stack-O-Lee...cuz the song is called Stagger Lee.

I prefer the cover by Nick Cave, but again, that's probably only because a really hot stripper gave me a lapdance to that song.

It's weird that they're calling the song Stack-O-Lee...cuz the song is called Stagger Lee.

I prefer the cover by Nick Cave, but again, that's probably only because a really hot stripper gave me a lapdance to that song.

lol, I have trouble picturing anyone getting a lapdance to that song. Especially Nick Cave's version, lyrically it's very .......intense...but not really in a lapdance kind of way, know what I mean? But then again, who really pays attention to the lyrics when getting a lapdance? :P Damn Erin, now I got a mental picture in my head of you getting a lapdance....yep, gonna be another restless night ;)

lol, I have trouble picturing anyone getting a lapdance to that song. Especially Nick Cave's version, lyrically it's very .......intense...but not really in a lapdance kind of way, know what I mean? But then again, who really pays attention to the lyrics when getting a lapdance? :P Damn Erin, now I got a mental picture in my head of you getting a lapdance....yep, gonna be another restless night ;)

Well, she managed to make it the most sexual song ever. The darkness of the Nick Cave version just made it hotter. *shudder* :)

Guest G***f******

Stevie Nicks' Edge of Seventeen covered by Jonas.

That would be Jonas from Montreal, not the boy band of brothers.

ain't that a shame from fats domino covered by cheap trick

don't be cruel from elvis presley covered by cheap trick

rock candy from montrose covered by lee aaron

rock on from david essex covered by def leppard

american woman from the guess who covered by lenny kravitz

and my ultimate cover version

hush from billy joe royal covered by deep purple

Oh yeah, totally forgot about this one.

Throwdown - Baby Got Back (originally by Sir Mix A Lot)

The intro cracks me up everytime.

Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman" cover by Santana.

Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" cover by Johnny Cash.

The Everly Brothers' "Love Hurts" cover by Nazareth.

The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" cover by Van Halen.

Weird Al covering Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

He changed up the lyrics though - "Smells Like Nirvana".