So, like most communities (hopefully) here in Ottawa we have a recycling program: Blue Box, Black Box and Green Bin. By far, my most favourite is the Green Bin which holds the organic wastes such as food, etc. I'll get to the reason why I like it so in a moment.

Ottawa council spent a lot of money getting people to recognize the value of this program and after getting over a little confusion (and yes, resentment over how it was jammed down our collective tax-paying throats...don't get me started) on how to use this thing, I started using it. I throw all my waste in a nice tidy biodegradable bag, which in turn, goes into the bin. Everything nice and neat and tidy eh?

I don't always send the bin out on each garbage pickup day because I may only have a few bags in there and it hardly seems worthwhile. That is until I realized that fruit, vegetables, etc will degrade and ferment in hot, sticky weather. Something Ottawa has been getting in abundance this Summer BTW. I had to throw something in the bin recently and when I opened the lid, I was greeted with the most amazing stench and visuals. All the bags were floating in a bubbling ooze the likes of which can seen in your local cesspool or tar pit. I like to call it "the sauce". The green bin was magically converted into a fermentation vat.

The other day, I got stuck behind the recycle collection truck that picks up all the green bins. I looked on in fascinated horror as the guy hanging off the back of the truck picked up the bin and simply dumped the contents into the truck. I then thought of "the sauce" and wondered if this poor guy ever got slopped-on by the juicy stuff. Ick. Not something that would normally give me a woody in the morning.

I like to experiment with things and wonder if you guys have any tips that could enhance the recycle guy's experience with "the sauce".

Now are you talking.....experiance .....to make it more foul....or more bearable?

Guest W***ledi*Time

... if you have a freezer: put your potentially-nastiest food waste on ice until garbage day.

In your green cart, try alternating layers of kitchen waste with dry yard waste, or paper products.

Now are you talking.....experiance .....to make it more foul....or more bearable?

One man's slop is another man's treasure - I'm not sure I can define "experience" in narrow terms. The sauce is what it is, but I'm sure with a little tinkering, we could maybe enhance the bouquet, texture, viscosity so that if it's going slop, well, make it slop better. If it's going to stink, well, make it stink louder.

While we're at it, maybe make it stickier too. I'm not talking anything non-biodegradable or dangerous here. Just the non-toxic, natural stuff.

One man's slop is another man's treasure - I'm not sure I can define "experience" in narrow terms. The sauce is what it is, but I'm sure with a little tinkering, we could maybe enhance the bouquet, texture, viscosity so that if it's going slop, well, make it slop better. If it's going to stink, well, make it stink louder.

While we're at it, maybe make it stickier too. I'm not talking anything non-biodegradable or dangerous here. Just the non-toxic, natural stuff.

being in construction most of my life......I have had to renovate many a horrible place......

One of the worst was one of these yogurt places that make shakesa nad stuff......they went out of business and vactaed the property...but the landlord did not do a full inspection of the walk in fridge when they left...only to hand over the demo to us 2 months after.....so we had bags of milk and bags of yogurt left in a warm place for 2 months....they were swollen about to bust....

We very carefully moved them to the compactor...and ran.......apparently the next person open the door and threw in something and the bags exploded.........it took 4 hrs with a pressure washer and bleach to rid the dock of the smell.....

so....yogurt and milk poured into the bin.......and left in the sun for a few days should gety the results you are looking for.......:shock:

being in construction most of my life......I have had to renovate many a horrible place......

One of the worst was one of these yogurt places that make shakesa nad stuff......they went out of business and vactaed the property...but the landlord did not do a full inspection of the walk in fridge when they left...only to hand over the demo to us 2 months after.....so we had bags of milk and bags of yogurt left in a warm place for 2 months....they were swollen about to bust....

We very carefully moved them to the compactor...and ran.......apparently the next person open the door and threw in something and the bags exploded.........it took 4 hrs with a pressure washer and bleach to rid the dock of the smell.....

so....yogurt and milk poured into the bin.......and left in the sun for a few days should gety the results you are looking for.......:shock:

Antler - fantastic story!

Excellent idea - simple, yet gag-inducing.

is it.....

Great minds think alike........

or

Fools seldom differ........

:roll:

I had to trap a few mice this past week. They would have added a little spice to the brew. The rules are very complex for this green bin thing, so I don't know if dead critters are allowed.

You could always head down to your local herb/natural store and pick up a big bottle of a strong essential oil (clove, cinnamon, rosemary...) and put a good amount of that in your green bin to lessen the assault on your unsuspecting olfactory receptors. (Flyer777, do you need to google any of those words? LOL)

Posted via Mobile Device

Certainly, collecting this business is not the most charming or pleasant! Sometimes I hear the boys come in the morning so I run to the front window and flash them in appreciation; in addition, a thoughtful Seasonal gift goes a long way too!

• Like 1

Certainly, collecting this business is not the most charming or pleasant! Sometimes I hear the boys come in the morning so I run to the front window and flash them in appreciation; in addition, a thoughtful Seasonal gift goes a long way too!

...Seriously thinking of a career change !:shock:

I may just have to do some voluntary yard work at Dorinda's place....

I don't live in Ottawa and not sure if you are allowed to through in some fish heads ..... I cleaned a few on Sat and tossed the remains into our garbage can I won't begin to discribe the stench or new born baby fly's this am as I pulled out the can. I am sure the trash guy's enjoyed taking the top off the can this am ....... Dorinda great idea and will keep that in mind next time I am at home though I doubt it will be as well accepted as your's.:shock:

I don't live in Ottawa and not sure if you are allowed to through in some fish heads ..... I cleaned a few on Sat and tossed the remains into our garbage can I won't begin to discribe the stench or new born baby fly's this am as I pulled out the can. I am sure the trash guy's enjoyed taking the top off the can this am ....... Dorinda great idea and will keep that in mind next time I am at home though I doubt it will be as well accepted as your's.:shock:

Took a walk down the neighborhood street on collection day. What a mistake. It was like everyone had the same perverted idea to throw out that festering dead raccoon they were keeping for some special occasion. I live in a fairly upscale neighborhood - the competition is fierce at times...you know, best lawn, best interlock driveway, garden, all that silly crap. I would like to excel at the best disgusting green bin. For once in my god foresaken life, I just want to be excellent at something!

I had to trap a few mice this past week. They would have added a little spice to the brew. The rules are very complex for this green bin thing, so I don't know if dead critters are allowed.

I can't say if they can go in whole but mouse parts have been fine in my bin. :shock:

Ummm... yeah so don't ask how I know this but if you really want a rather foul stench I can say that the stomach (with contents) and lower intestines of several mice left out in the heat for several days gets rather sticky and creates a very unique smell. The entire body seems to contain that smell better than if you have just some of the innards in a baggy decomposing in the heat (unless left for a long time). Lesson learned.

Oh and a metal paint scraper works better than a plastic one if you have to get innards up off your tile floor. :(

... if you have a freezer: put your potentially-nastiest food waste on ice until garbage day.

In your green cart, try alternating layers of kitchen waste with dry yard waste, or paper products.

That's what I do. When the sun is beaming down on that in the summer WOW is all I can say. I can't keep mine in the back yard. I put it on the side of the house. You can't have a nice BBQ with that foul smell in your backyard.

Reviving an old thread.

Thought of another amusing ingredient.

Last week, I had to get rid of a TON of old flour, corn starch, bulk oatmeal and other miscellaneous powders. The green bin was filled half-way. Just enough weight for Mr. Garbage guy to be able to lift overhead & yet more than enough bulk for said garbage professional to be thoroughly coated & look like a ghost.

Man, it's like I'm like an Artiste.

• Like 1

We've been reading about the Green Bin program with curiosity, wondering how it would work. I imagine it's a tough sell for many in the city because you see the process of degeneration at its worst. Here at home in the boonies, we have a large and vibrant compost pile, and don't tend to think of it as yucky at all. But then, we turn it regularly, and so it seems more like compost than rotting goo.

The past few weeks, we've been eating out of our garden. In fact, this past week, I've been up to my ass in tomatoes to be put up! When you think about it, we EAT the stuff that you put in your Green Bin--. Well processed, of course, but we waste very little.

(--Well, that and the llama shit some generous friends give us every spring. Llama shit is great stuff! ;) )

• Like 2