Chromebook?

Been considering these since they came out... I primarily use my laptop for online stuff and never dip into storage that much (I have an external for that.) So it seems like the ideal set up for my work computer.

I've gotten mixed reviews from people, was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them either way? What is the UI like on the Chrome OS? Any major let downs compared to windows and Mac? Hardware solid or is it flimsy?

I have been using a Chrome Book for a few years now. I use it primarily for surfing the internet, checking up on Lyla.com, checking and responding to e-mails.

Chrome books do not have a CD/DVD ROM. At least mine does not. But it does have a SD Card Reader.

If you have the Chrome browser on your main computer. It automatically sinks everything with the Chrome book's browser. So if someone other than you has access to your main computer, they know where you have been.

You can only use google apps on it.

• Like 1

Loving the tech talk around here!

I'm not much of a windows program person so Works, and the like, won't be missed. At most I use word pad but Google docs or sending myself and email works just as well.

I prefer Firefox but chrome is what I regularly use on my old lappie and my mobile devices so its not as though I'm unfamiliar.

I'm concerned mainly about the feel of the user interface and the skin of the operating system. I struggle with changes and it was ultimately why I didn't just go with Linux so it may be hard to adjust to something new. I still miss Windows XP!

Maybe I will see if I can check one out in a store or at a library first... Seems like an excellent first step. Most of my privacy concerns are assuaged by the fact that the only living beings with access to my computers, mobile devices and electronics don't have opposable thumbs and can be bribed with liver. Lol!

Thanks for the help everyone, feel free to keep chiming in if something springs to mind!

I bought a Samsung Chromebook last March and was generally pleased with it. It was pretty straight forward to set up and easy to use. I only really use it for browsing and since it's got an HDMI port on it, I've hooked it up to a TV to watch Netflix and other streaming services. Since a lot of the services are web based, having an internet connection is a must. I found that it's pretty good at detecting USB devices and I was able to edit Microsoft Office with the software loaded on it. The only thing I really didn't like was the mousepad, but I'm generally not a fan of mousepads on any laptops.

Alas, my cat chewed through the power cord for it a few months back and I've not gotten around to getting a new one.

• Like 1

I got my husband a Chromebook when my little netbook died earlier this year. I figured I'd take over his deadly slow Satellite, and give him something he couldn't get in as much trouble with. I have all the household files he needs set up in the cloud and all our stuff on ebilling anyway.

But I ADORE this thing! I may have to get a second one for me. Most of the time, I don't even bother firing up the Satellite any more. There are apps I can use to modify and ftp my web stuff. Seriously, I might have to get one for myself. I'm tired of sneaking his, only to look up and find him looking at me like, "...you almost done with that??"