Sexist air conditioning? Puhlease!

Guest *Ste***cque**

Yup, men are once again showing their rampant sexism, this time with air conditioning. Women are complaining that setting a temperature in the office that is comfortable for everyone, men in suits included, is sexist. Stop the man bashing, women! The toilet seat should be up and the air conditioning is fine! :)

Ladies, men and white knights, feel free to comment.

There was an article a few weeks ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/chilly-at-work-a-decades-old-formula-may-be-to-blame.html?_r=0

I believe this is what the post is in reference to.

RG

Interesting article, thanks for linking it, never heard of all of that before!

If that is what he's referencing though...the article definitely isn't man-bashing or calling it sexist, it's just discussing the topic..but this is the first time I've heard of this so I can't say I know a whole lot on the topic.

Certainly haven't heard any women complaining that the office is too cold or that it's sexist if it is.

As a young manager a sage veteran advised me to set a temp for the office and then lock the thermostat. With young men and old men wearing suits, young women, pre-menopausal, menopausal and post menopausal women, you can never get it exactly right but rather than have inter staff hard feelings being created let them all blame you. Sound advice indeed.

Peace

MG

I have worked 7 years in an office, and I have never heard of such issue. Personally, I never minded when the A/C was a degree too cold as it was keeping me awake on this shitty job...

I must say that I side with the guys on this issue. Given that men are encouraged to wear a business suit in a professional environment, it is easier for women to add a layer than it is for men to remove one I suppose.

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's "sexiest air conditioning", but then it turns out not to be nearly anything so fun.

The problem with sexism (and most "isms" actually) is it isn't always obvious or in your face. It's actually the systemic discrimination that can be hardest to identify and root out.

Is the traditional or average temperature at an office sexist? Personally, I kinda doubt it, or at the very least suspect there's more factors at play. But what's the harm in having the discussion and giving it fair consideration just in case?

Without doubt, not every accusation of sexism is fair or true, but it's not like women don't have any struggles left or just want to bash men. That's a false picture of feminism that I'm a bit tired of seeing everywhere.

Anyway, maybe I'm just misreading the tone of the OP or maybe I'm just a white knight because I don't actually think white hetero males have it the hardest in our society. I just think discrimination can be subtle, and it's worth examining things we take for granted.

And speaking of things we take for granted, I'm now going to go look for that sexy air conditioning.

• Like 2