Windows 10: BEWARE and TAKE NOTICE

Thanks Backrubman!

Good info and glad I only use that machine for work and nothing else. It seems that all platforms are doing more and more of this these days. I use OSX for personal stuff and they do the same, but at least they are upfront about it and don't try and hide the settings to turn off.

Side Note:

I wasn't impressed with how Microsoft essentially forced this upgrade onto my system. Yes, I did sign up for the free upgrade, but I thought that I would be able to do this anytime within the year as it is free upgrade for the first year. The OS automatically downloaded to my machine and I kept getting pop ups asking if I want to install. I kept deferring, but I came in to office one morning and "BAM" the OS was installed. Now I assume this is because automatic updates were on and I could see other updates were installed that required a system restart. It caused a lot of problems as certain things would not work anymore and were required for my work. The worst was my VPN, but after a tech visit and some trial and error, this was solved. Overall, like the OS, but not the experience of how this was upgraded.

• Like 1

It should be noted that the default setting in 10 is for the tracking and reporting on usage to occur. I'm still on Windows 8 but apparently you can change the reporting level to deny windows the ability to harvest this level of data.

I've also heard but not seen it myself where this facility will be pushed to other versions including 8 in the next windows update.

Toper

• Like 1

I admit that I'm not really familiar with it yet but if it can send "creepy" emails to parents that can "humiliate teens at a vulnerable period in their lives", it certainly conjures up an image of the parent wondering why the teens were surfing Lyla for a short time before they realize it was their SO (who wasn't careful enough) and not the teens - Thus the warning.

I'm sure it's all explained in intricate detail of all that fine print that people just by their nature don't read and simply click [NEXT] :)

And then there is the SO that sets up your account to be monitored on purpose because it's easy and the capability is built in, perhaps just from curiosity not expecting to find what is then found.