Genealogy: Need help!

I'm trying to build my genealogy tree, but I have blocked to a Native relative.

I know that her mother is coming from ''Les Plaines Ojibwe - Sask.'', I can find her daughter, wich married an ''European'', but can't find my grand-mother's sibblings.

I know for a fact that they had a lot of children (10-15), but when I arrive there, blanks everywhere.

Some input would be greatly appreciated.

***: I used only web ressources, and I have a phone interview with Indian affairs around 10AM, but she doesn't seem to have much luck.

P.S.: I need this tree for my father to get his status so he can get health care at home, so, I'm kind of in a rush. But all the rest is done...

Guest S****r

A great source, believe it or not is the church of the latter-day Saints. That would be the Mormons. They have researched and kept records for generations. You can actually go in and here in Ottawa and look through their microfiche and all kinds of stuff it's amazing.

I will be able to get my father's status!

Not sure I will ask for mine since I consider myself more ''European'' and been raised in the Irish way. I don't identify myself as Native.

But what I found was quite interesting. This is a long story for those who are curious. Perhaps, somebody that would like to dig and don't know where to start...

First, I had n input from somebody here that reffered me to Aboriginal Affairs, where they were able to look into the Canadian Registry.

She was one of multiple children of Joseph Vermette, and Marie Marthe Minoichioiquoi (!), from Les Plaines Ojibwe, and her many sibblings.

Back then, this place wasn't a village, yet. It was a Cistercian Community where ''savages'' needed to be ''civilised''.

My grand-mother, aswell as her sisters were sent to St-Pierre Covant, while her brothers (except two) were sent to the monastery near by.

I also discovered that there was a cemetery behind the monastery, deep in the woods.

She then married a buisness man from Ottawa, son of Irish immigrant, and had six kids. They had 55 years of unconditional love toghetter...

Since the monastery is about 2 km from my house, guess who's going for a hike?.. I can't wait to see if I will be able to uncover more...

• Like 2