Apple vs FBI

Personally, I think Apple should take this all the way to the Supreme Court. This opens Pandora's Box of issues around privacy. What if my phone gets stolen and now the security feature that prevents the thief gaining access to my private information (10 password attempts and then data is erased), is removed and now the perp can use brute force to get at the data? What if Iran or China made this request to Apple? Does this only apply to FBI searches or can CSIS make this request?

I think the government is using the smokescreen of the atrocities committed in this particular case to win public mindshare and to gain information they have no business collecting... and they already collect a scary amount.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/04/telephone-calls-recorded-fbi-boston

The whole wikileaks thing exposed a lot of what the government is doing spying not only on allies but on its own citizens. And when I say government, I mean Canadian and US.

It's a tricky distinction between privacy and national security but in this case I hope Apple fights them all the way.

• Like 1

can CSIS make this request?.

Under current intelligence sharing treaties the Americans would likely honour the request.

Little known fact: you have privacy from your government spying on you. So your government asks another government to spy on you. You are probably not an American citizen so you have no constitutional rights that would stop an American agency.

You can get apps that wipe your phone remotely.