Domestic Violence Video

Guest S**a*Q

Kiera Knightley is in this... It definitely gets to the point. Critics say it's too aggressive but I disagree... A woman can't choose the level of aggression she gets to deal with at home...

That was very powerful, and yes got to the point. The critics are wrong, it really drives the message home.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Too aggressive only if you want to deny that this abuse exists at that level. (or at any level for that matter)

I have to admit I involuntarily backed away from my screen at one point.

Thanks for the enlightenment Sara

J

I'm against violence let alone domestic violence, treat everyone the way you would want them to treat you.

But this one time when I was in my 20's I went to a bar and on my way out in the line up going in this big guy slaps is gf across the face and without thinking I grabbed him by the throat and put him up against the wall until is gf pulled down on my arm and said "let him down he is my bf and he didn't mean it". Two of my friends released my fingers before he turned blue and we left, I have never been violent before or after that I guess I had just lost it then after seeing that.

I was not going to mention the past but, when in grade 8 a school friend of mine, father was an alcoholic and beat his wife.

We were at their cottage (god I don't why I ever said yes) well the Dad decides to down a few hard drinks,next thing we know and can hear late at night the fighting and slapping. It did not take us long to get to his mothers rescue,and put him down.

The next day, was not very good neither, he was back into booze.Neighbors ended up taking us 3 home and he was left by himself there at the cottage. My first hand encounter,of a abusive drunk and domestic violence.

I found out later in High School by my friend his mom had finally packed up and left, like to other side of the country. He stayed with his dad,and that was what it took for him to sober up.

T-storm and pistol I applaud you. It is true in today society nobody want's to get involved but I will never turn away especially when a woman is in trouble. There are not enough white knights out there. It is good to see there are still a few of us around.

Thanks God for the "white Knights" as TStorm and Pete and many more...I can certify about it after living with an alcoholic and staying only until his kids were old enough to leave him behind......

Thanks for the thread Sara, painful realities!!!!

LoraLee:sad:

I don't think I was "white knight" at all. But simply reacting at the age of 13 year old ( BTW scared shit-less), and doing same thing as my friend was doing by getting in between a drunk and a helpless woman. It was like he knew, that he fucked up with a guest and settled down,but he was always verbally and physically abusive, sober or drunk.

Guest ***nsut***jr

I can't speak for all the guys but having been on the receiving end of a few sucker punches and one particularly awful thrashing in my younger days I can empathize with the lady in the video.

In my case it was not about fear either, just a poor judgement call and the necessity to extract myself from a potentially fatal situation.

So I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone would do that to a woman or another human.

The physical part you can get over hopefully but the fear must be absolutely devastating. Happening time and again. Unimaginable.

Hugs to all the ladies today.

J

I just started dating an older woman who hadn't been with a man in 4 yrs, because her last 6 yr relationship was filled with domestic violence and verbal abuse. I feel like i have to treat her delicately. Unfortunately, many women i've dated in the last 2 years have been abuse victims. It's so sad, and i really don't understand how men can do this. I understand stress, frustration, depression, we've all been through it in our lives, but to take it out on your spouse or SO, i just dont get it. I'd rather hurt myself than someone I care about.. All i can say is that there are way too many a.....oles in this world, and I wish you ladies came with a built in radar to detect it... Even though she hasnt seen him in 2 yrs, the fear is still very evident... I just find it so sad.

Hmmm I have to admit not having watched the video as for what I read I may not be strong enough to do so. However, having what T'storm posted as an example, many women can avoid ending there when noticing violent behavior in their then boyfriends before getting any further. Sadly, many choose to go for the 'he will change' and the way their story end is not any pretty.

I was just having a conversation with someone yesterday about how one of my biggest fears based on seeing someone I loved going through that, is being the victim of violence. I really hope none of us here (it doesn't only happen to women) go through something like this but if we ever do let's learn from stories like the ones mentioned , see signs and stay away before is too late.

until is gf pulled down on my arm and said "let him down he is my bf and he didn't mean it".

I don't think I was "white knight" at all. But simply reacting at the age of 13 year old ( BTW scared shit-less), and doing same thing as my friend was doing by getting in between a drunk and a helpless woman. It was like he knew, that he fucked up with a guest and settled down,but he was always verbally and physically abusive, sober or drunk.

Pete that is what a white knight is, anyone can act when the outcome is known but to put yourself in a position where you are in harms way to protect another, hats off to you my friend.

I had to get between three Jamaican farm workers and my 16 year old niece so I know scared shitless. However I had a little inanimate semi legal backup lol.

The reason abuse is so common is people won't stand up. Then the cycle continues.

That was very powerful, and yes got to the point. The critics are wrong, it really drives the message home.

Absolutely. And if a few folks lose a little sleep over seeing it and change the way they run their lives as a result, it's entirely worthwhile.

And kudos to those of you that have stood up against this sort of thing; I count myself blessed that I've never had to.

Kiera Knightley is in this... It definitely gets to the point. Critics say it's too aggressive but I disagree... A woman can't choose the level of aggression she gets to deal with at home...

I agree with you Sara, a woman does not get to choose the level of aggression she must deal with at home. I have never been able to fathom how anyone can treat another human being in this manner. I have never tolerated violence against women and have stepped in on more than one occasion to come to the defence of a woman. It makes me sick just to think about domestic violence. One of my cousins went through it for two years, it was devastating to find out this had been happening to her. She was fortunate enough to be able to get out of the relationship, but she is still dealing with the trauma...and yes I did pay him a little visit one night.