If you were a literary character ....

Guest W***ledi*Time

If you were a character from literature or fiction, who would you be?

My good friend Cato was just quoting Puck to me from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Suddenly I realized that I myself might very well be Nick Bottom from the same play.

Bottom is of course the rustic weaver who plays Pyramus in the play-within-a play Pyramus and Thisbe. Bottom's an extrovert, so in that respect I'm his exact opposite. But Bottom also messes up his lines, so that fits me very well.

But the most striking thing about Bottom is that he is the only character in the play who manages to cross back and forth, between the human and fairy worlds. Memorably, Puck gives him an ass's head. Meanwhile, the spell-bound Titania, Queen of the Fairies, has been given a love-potion by the jealous Oberon. Titania therefore falls in love with the donkey-headed Bottom as soon as she sets eyes on him. Much merriment ensues. Bottom is then returned to his former, fully-human, self. He sagely decides that "I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream past the wit of man to say what dream it was."(4.1.202-203)

Well said Bottom! That's just like I feel every time I return to the real world after a rendezvous with a special Cerb lady.

None of which should be taken to imply that the fairy-world is any less real than the human-world, neither.

Diever-Teeuwisse-01.jpg

Great thread idea, WIT!

And I would be Puck, if I could be any character.

The messenger, the intermediary, the trickster....

"And those things do best please me

That befall preposterously."

Ahhhh, A Midsummer Nights Dream, my favorite! The fairyland buys not the child of me... oh Titania. I had to do that piece in university.

Anyway, I don't think I could possibly answer this question. Too many characters, too many books. I could maybe think of bits of different characters I'd love to say I'd be, but there's no way to pick just one!

Yep...and there I go, letting everyone see I'm a huge Shakespeare and literature nerd. Anyone else catching Romeo and Juliet at the NAC? I can't wait!

Guest W***ledi*Time
... Anyone else catching Romeo and Juliet at the NAC? I can't wait!

No, but I saw R&J at Shakespeare in High Park in Toronto this summer. Good Clean Fun. Staged as if it was a play-within-a-play, occuring in a modern-day Verona Railroad Station. Ron Kennell almost stole the show, playing the Nurse (!) and Balthasar.

Guest W***ledi*Time
E-ore....from Whinny the Pooh................

Does that count?

Eeyore is one of the great characters of the 20th Century! (I had a friend in university that I swear was Eeyore reincarnated in every way.)

A two-edged Eeyore quote:

"So it does!" said Pooh. "It goes in!"

"So it does!" said Piglet. "And it comes out!"

"Doesn't it?" said Eeyore. "It goes in and out like anything."

(Winnie the Pooh, Ch. VI)

Guest s******ecan****

I would choose Alessandro Giuliani the protagonist in Mark Helprin's

"A Soldier of the Great War"

A wonderful novel, not a war story, this book imbued me with a love for Italy and italian food in particular.

I highly recommend the book, and any of the other many magnificent novels written by Helprin.

Guest S**a*Q

I'm like the Choose Your Own Adventure Heroine :)

My path changes with every page it seems... But I keep my finger in the book, so I never die!!!

thank you my dear friend......thank you:bowdown:

Eeyore is one of the great characters of the 20th Century! (I had a friend in university that I swear was Eeyore reincarnated in every way.)

A two-edged Eeyore quote:

"So it does!" said Pooh. "It goes in!"

"So it does!" said Piglet. "And it comes out!"

"Doesn't it?" said Eeyore. "It goes in and out like anything."

(Winnie the Pooh, Ch. VI)

Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with a bit of Frank Wheeler from Revolutionary Road thrown in for good measure.

Guest e**m***h

Since there is already a lot of Shakespeare on this thread - these days I think it would be fun to be Duke Vincentio in Measure for Measure.

Hey WIT, with all the court cases going on might be a good time to put on a CERB players adaptation here in Ottawa - give Joy Smith a free front row seat, (or maybe she is already playing the role of Angelo). Amazing how some issues never go away!

Samkin Aylward, from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's two best books, The White Company and Sir Nigel. Loyal, true, courageous, loves women, fights with a smile on his face and a wicked sense of humour...he is a character that has always been near and dear to my heart. He was also Doyle's favorite character from all of his books. Even more so than Sherlock Holmes!

Guest ***nsut***jr

Tom Joad - The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

A book I read every couple of years.

It helps keep one grounded.

J

Guest G***f******

Harry Dresden, even though he gets the crap kicked out of him much of the time.

Elizabeth (Lizzy) Bennett of Pride and Prejudice. She is witty, provocative and full of life!

Edited by Meg O'Ryan
Had to hunt down my copy to see how they spelled her nickname

Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird"

A most upright character, representing the moral ideal of both a lawyer and a human being he is brutally honest, highly moral, extremely opinionated a tireless crusader for good causes........

....My good causes are of course the gorgeous women here on CERB ;) LOL