As the 11th of November approaches once more, the pain of the loss of my brothers and sisters over my years in combat returns to me. I hate war and everything about it, yet I am very proud to have served my small nation accross the pond. We have never backed down from anyone and never will. As every child in Britain knows growing up, you will most likely see war more than once throughout your lifetime and may need to stand tall on behalf of our Queen and country. I am posting three videos which are a tribute to my lost brothers and sisters. Unfortunately there are many faces I know and some who were under my command at the time of their loss. You will never be forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9eZTdBfm0

• Like 5

Well said Spud. Although I suspect from a slightly different time frame, I too have had the privilege of serving our country in combat. I was fortunate not to lose anyone in my command but also know the loss of comrades. We must always remember those that have sacrificed themselves on behalf of others and those that continue to voluntarily put themselves in harms way so that others may not have to.

Guest c******n****h

I think all Canadians of any age should take a look at Vimy Ridge, at Ortona, Ypres and the many other places that Canadian soldiers gave their lives for King and Country. Many of these "boys" were no older than 20, a lifetime ahead of them lost in duty. My grandmother's brother was killed and buried in France at 17...so far from home and family. Lest we forget...

If you look at the back right-hand side of a Canadian $10 bill, you will see an old veteran standing at attention near the Ottawa war memorial. His name is Robert Metcalfe and he died last month at the age of 90.

?ui=2&ik=97bc36cc7a&view=att&th=12c3af3cf47de3cc&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=fecbab30655ef3c2_0.2&zw

That he managed to live to that age is rather remarkable, given what happened in the Second World War. Born in England , he was one of the 400,000 members of the British Expeditionary Force sent to the mainland where they found themselves facing the new German warfare technique - the Blitzkrieg.

He was treating a wounded comrade when he was hit in the legs by shrapnel.

En route to hospital, his ambulance came under fire from a German tank, which then miraculously ceased fire. Evacuated fromDunkirk on HMS Grenade, two of the sister ships with them were sunk.

Recovered, he was sent to allied campaigns in North Africa and Italy . En route his ship was chased by the German battleship Bismarck .

In North Africa he served under General Montgomery against the Desert Fox, Rommel.

Sent into the Italian campaign, he met his future wife, a lieutenant and physiotherapist in a Canadian hospital. They were married in the morning by the mayor of the Italian town, and again in the afternoon by a British padre.

After the war they settled in Chatham where he went into politics and became the warden (chairman) of the county and on his retirement he and his wife moved to Ottawa . At the age of 80 he wrote a book about his experiences.

One day out of the blue he received a call from a government official asking him to go downtown for a photo op. He wasn't told what the photo was for or why they chose him. 'He had no idea he would be on the bill,' his daughter said.

And now you know the story of the old veteran on the $10 bill.

It is nice to see canadians paying homage to people who put there lives on the line for us. Both my grand fathers were in the world wars and I was in the military from 18-20. I was chemically gased and because of this had to return home *developed crohn's disease from it* It is non contagious but very painful when untreated. I did not give my life for my country but in my opinion I gave my health. If there ever is a world war I would be the first one on the boat over to protect my family and friends.

-Valexio