Political correctness. Has it gone too far?

Even if this were done, that wouldn't make it a crime to discriminate on this basis. It would mean that you couldn't refuse to, say, hire someone for a job because of their gender identity - or at least, you couldn't refuse on that basis unless you could show a good reason that their gender identity mattered. If there were a good reason, it wouldn't be discrimination.

I don't understand why we should want to defend the ability to refuse services, accommodation, or employment because of prejudicial attitudes not supported by any factual foundation.

Additional Comments:

"I think young kids ... should be prepared to hear opinions that are not their own and should not feel threatened by opinions that are not their own."

That's not what trigger warnings are about. Trigger warnings are "next class we will be discussing childhood sexual abuse, so be prepared for that in case it is for some reason a difficult topic for you". Nobody should be providing a "trigger warning" saying "you might hear opinions which are not your own", and I am very doubtful that anyone does.

• Like 2

Thank you. That clarifies the situation. The news item seemed more menacing, somehow.

• Like 2

General comment:

Just as an aside from a recent survey (CBC quote) 80% of Canadians are afraid to express themselves for fear of offending someone.

But that's not 80% of ALL Canadians. Only the ones they asked. And where did they find those that were asked? And what are the demographics of those that were asked?

• Like 1

But that's not 80% of ALL Canadians. Only the ones they asked. And where did they find those that were asked? And what are the demographics of those that were asked?

It's also a pretty vague fact. Personally I am generally happy that people should sometimes think "wait, is what I am about to say offensive?" before speaking. As a rule, we call people who *never* do that "assholes".

If they mean "80% of Canadians are afraid to say perfectly reasonable and temperate things because of a fear of unjustified backlash" (which is the impression they are trying to create), well, that's quite a different statement.

• Like 1