Sex tourism

Guest *Ste***cque**

The Globe and Mail's Damage Control by David Eddie today had a question about sex tourism and whether it is wrong to partake and should the neighbor have spoken out against it with another neighbor that was going. There was the usual argument against partaking in any form of prostitution due to perceived power inequities between consumers and providers but in particular this type. It didn't appear this was underage prostitution as that would be more obvious.

What are your thoughts? Does sex tourism bare any comparison to partaking locally? Is it wrong to visit another country primarily for sex?

This is a minefield so please be extra respectful. Mod will be watching! :)

Guest S****r

From all I have read, the women are totally exploited. I believe that. On the other hand, they say that about us too!

In an ideal world, I don't think sex tourism would be any worse than any other tourism.

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. While I can be reasonably sure that the providers I see locally are doing what they want to do and haven't been coerced into it, it'd be far harder to be sure of that when you don't speak the language or know the local environment.

I also fear that many people indulging in sex tourism (assuming by that you mean people who are traveling primarily for sex, rather than just having some while they're traveling for other reasons) are doing so in order to obtain things that they can't easily get at home because they're totally illegal (as opposed to slightly illegal).

• Like 3

What are your thoughts? Does sex tourism bare any comparison to partaking locally? Is it wrong to visit another country primarily for sex?

I don't really care what people do, I don't have a problem with this, but...

From all I have read, the women are totally exploited. I believe that.

And while this is true

On the other hand, they say that about us too!

I just feel more comfortable in Canada with respect to this

I've engaged in sexual tourism where it is legal...

in Nevada where it is legal and regulated and I feel its the tourist that are exploited, ($600 per hour!!!)... But all of the Ladies I met there seemed to enjoy what they do. Veronica at the Shady Lady was amazing and a lot of fun (and also charged only $270). Unfortunately the Shady Lady has since closed down due to a drop in tourism since the 2008-9 recession.

in Austria where it is legal and partly regulated, I had mixed feeling, the place I met the lady's in was rather sad apartment building where you wondered around the floors until you found a room with a green sign on it (open for business) and knocked on the door and told the lady what you wanted... the lady's were mostly eastern European and spoke very little English, no kissing... certainly not a girlfriend experience. 50 euros per 15 minutes. Tatiana was quite pleasant, but the lady I saw the next night, Lily, seemed unhappy.

and in Australia where brothels are legal and regulated I went to two brothels and in both times ended up with an oriental lady (my preference for the day), the Ladies spoke English (er... Australian English that is) seemed happy and seemed to enjoy their work. The second lady seemed particularly into her job but that (of course) could be an act.