A very happy ending :)

Not that of happy ending.

But a good story for pet lovers.

This was a very stressful week.

My daughter went on a weeks holiday with my wife. Before she left she arranged to have her 2 dogs looked after by a dog sitter. We dropped them off on a Friday night. On tuesday I received a phone call from the dog sitter who said that one of the dogs ran away from him. I went there after work to look for him. He then told me that he actually ran way on Sunday. He had already wrote a lost dog report to the humane society. Posted on facebook and on kijiji.

Some one on facebook posted on a Ottawa Lost and found pet network.

On tuesday night someone reported a sighting of him about 2 miles away where he ran away. I immediately drive down to look for him. No luck. for next couple of days I drove around the network. I had told my daughter thru email and she very upset. She did what she could do thru the internet from a island down south. She had us looking for him. Her friends helped. We had other possible sightings which we checked out. These were several miles away from where he had run from.

I picked her up on Saturday night and right away we spent the night looking for her dog. She had ordered posters from the island. Sunday morning she got up early with friends and went searching. We found someone who saw our dog. And he was seen in a neighbourhood across from the dog sitter. We had 10 people combing the area, putting up the posters and talking to anyone we have seen. It is amazing how dog lovers had seen the posters and offered their help. This facebook network is supportive for ottawa and many dogs have been recovered through them.

Pet lovers are such a dedicated bunchy of people who are concerned about pets. We had some strangers going around looking for our dog and putting up posters thru their own imitative.

after many hours of searching. We entered a field in the back of some business. It was full of junk and weeds. But I heard some yelping. thought it could be him. Others heard the helping and also headed for the general location. Then all of a sudden he stopped barking. I was probably a few feet away from him at one point. MY wife also. But another girl heard a jingle and found him under some garbage. only a few feet from us. For some reason he did not bark when we were that close. We could had gave up on the area if she had not found him.

He was cold and shivering and had bit his leash off. His fur was matted and full of burrs. We brought to the vet where he was checked. He was shaved quite a bit to get rid of the burrs. He looked pretty sad and funny. He had a ticked removed and was sent home. He was so tired and happy to be home.

My wife and daughter were so relieved to find him. They had spent hours shouting his name in all sort of neighbourhoods. We spent so much time on wild goose chases. He was only a few hundred feet from where he ran away.

It is a miracle that we had found him ourselves. He was lucky that he hadn't been run over by a car. He had survived for 7 day.

It is amazing that our friends came thru to help us look for him. I had hoped that someone would find him. I was not expecting us to find him ourselves.

I was amazed at the support that Ottawa has for finding lost dogs and that there are a lot of people in the Ottawa valley keeping their eyes for missing dogs.

Just wanted to tell this feel good story to pet lovers on Lyla.

A very Happy Ending :)

• Like 9

awesome the story had a happy ending. The power of social media is so helpful when dogs get lost. I'd probably GPS my dogs if not for them being such homebodies

• Like 1

Glad it all worked out. Thanks for sharing your story. Dogs become special members of the family, they offer unconditional affection and get so excited to go for a walk, when they get fed or when they welcome you home again and again.

• Like 1

An update. My dog is recovering well. The vet said he was in pretty good shape. But had to shave him a bit to get rid of his matted fur and burrs. Had to take him to a groomer to get a bath and a proper grooming. He came back almost naked. Except his face which got trimmed a lot also. He looks very thin and funny. My daughter bought him a PJ to keep him warm until his hair grows back. He is back with his family. Happy to be back home and sleeping with his buddy again :) All's well that end's well. But it was a very stressful and traumatic week. But I have learnt that in times in need Pet luvers unite and help each other out.

Wow such a happy ending! So glad you found the doggy. I can only imagine the stress and heartbreak caused by an animal gone missing. Kudos to you and the community for working together like that!

• Like 2

Guest Prufrock Cummings
An update. My dog is recovering well. The vet said he was in pretty good shape. But had to shave him a bit to get rid of his matted fur and burrs. Had to take him to a groomer to get a bath and a proper grooming. He came back almost naked. Except his face which got trimmed a lot also. He looks very thin and funny. My daughter bought him a PJ to keep him warm until his hair grows back. He is back with his family. Happy to be back home and sleeping with his buddy again :) All's well that end's well. But it was a very stressful and traumatic week. But I have learnt that in times in need Pet luvers unite and help each other out.

Glad to hear it all turned out well!