Do Not Answer or Return Calls from Area Codes 809, 284 649 or 876 - Scam

I saw a number from an 809 area code come up on my phone. I didn't answer it and since my mailbox was full did not receive a message. However, when I googled the area coder, I found out this information. I would never call back a number I don't know, but I thought I'd share what I found out. This is a scam that's been around for awhile, but apparently still being tried.

They may say something like 'Hey, this is so and so...sorry I missed you- get back to us quickly. I have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with these area codes. DO NOT DIAL THESE BACK ANY NUMBERS BEGINNING WITH THESE AREA CODES:

809, 829, 849, 284, 441, 649 and 876

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.. In each case, you are told to call a certain number back right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls, not realizing they will be be charged a inflated international rates.

And you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.

These area codes are located in different locales in the Caribbean and they act like 900 number (pay per use number) like we have in North America, but are not regulated in that they do inform you of such when you dial back.

The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE on their website:

:http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045

Edited by Mature Angela
  • Like 4

Curious...I've vacationed in the carribean ALOT and had my family call my hotel there....You cannot call without the country code attached to whatever country, so you'd have to know the country code to call....also MOST phones have to be specially programed by your telephone provider to even call the carribean....

This is simply my .02$ and what I know about calling the carribean...

Who knows possibly these numbers work differently.

Curious...I've vacationed in the carribean ALOT and had my family call my hotel there....You cannot call without the country code attached to whatever country, so you'd have to know the country code to call....also MOST phones have to be specially programed by your telephone provider to even call the carribean....

This is simply my .02$ and what I know about calling the carribean...

Who knows possibly these numbers work differently.

I'm not sure which countries you visited, but from what I understand the countries these area codes are from (Dominican Republic (809, 829, 849), Bahamas (284), Bermuda (441) and Jamaica (876)) don't require a country code. I know my friend called me when he was in Jamaica and I was able to call him back without entering a country code, just dialing 1-876 etc.

Countries like Aruba, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti for example all have international country codes.