Pooner Diaries: Office

I glanced out the window. It's dark now. Snow is falling, slowly fluttering glints of white sailing by the streetlight. I rubbed my eyes and felt my five-o-clock shadow. Make that my eight-o-clock shadow. I'm at the office way too late, yet again. I'm the only one left here. It's quiet, not a single noise except for the low humming of my computer. I loosen my tie and undo the top button on my shirt.

I'm working long hours these days, on this crazy project of mine. I'm stoking the star-maker machinery behind the popular word, to paraphrase Joni. It keeps me out of trouble. But I'm almost done for the day and I'm going to go home, eat a quick supper and then it's off to bed till the madness starts again tomorrow morning. This is my life now, such as it is.

Still, I can't help but think of her. It's been a while. I'd go see her in the blink of an eye if I had the time, the freedom, the opportunity. I stretch my back, sitting in my chair. If I had the energy.

But I can still dream. I close my eyes and imagine my lips skimming the soft skin stretched taut on her neck. Her head is thrown back and her eyes are closed, a soft smile the crowning glory on her face. I can smell her subtle scent. It always drives me wild, and I would softly nibble her neck if I didn't have to worry about leaving marks.

I take her hands in mine, intertwining fingers, as I move down to her breasts. Her breath starts to get heavy as I delicately suck on her nipples. Her lips part, showing the coral pink inside and her small white teeth. I start to kiss further down...

I open my eyes. This fantasy is all too real. I'm just going to get myself all worked up with nowhere to go. Or am I?

Perhaps this article can wait until tomorrow. I look around and see the darkened office around me. Everyone else is home now, eating dinner with their families. Playing with their kids. Shopping. Or whatever it is they do in their off hours. All I know is, they aren't here. And perhaps, neither should I be.

I smile wryly as I think about that old saw. The one about how no one ever lay on their deathbed wishing that they spent more time at work. I look at my watch, and see it's not that late. Not too late for her, anyway. I pick up my phone and dial. She answers. It's good to hear her voice again. Yes, she's free. Yes, she'd love to see me again. When? Sure, see you then!

I get up and turn off my computer. I'm out the door with my coat, even before the glow fades on my cell phone. I gotta go. Diems have gotta be carpe'd. There's a whole world out there. There's a life to be lived.

And there's a lady to be loved. Later, everyone.

• Like 1

Guest al****s

Work can wait...pleasure can't! Another great story Birdboy...I enjoyed it! :)

alexis...xoxo

Work can wait...pleasure can't! Another great story Birdboy...I enjoyed it! :)
Thanks, Alexis! To paraphrase dear old Mr Wilde, work is indeed the bane of the pooning classes.

a pleasure as always reading your work :)
As it is a pleasure to have you read my stories, Elizabeth. Thank you!

Excellent writing! Thanks.
You're too kind, Andy. Thanks!

Nice, birdboy!
Few words but powerful words, Cato. But I expected no less from an orator such as yourself. Thank you for the praise. There is a wide difference between true courage and mere contempt of life, you know. ;) :D

Few words but powerful words, Cato. But I expected no less from an orator such as yourself. Thank you for the praise. There is a wide difference between true courage and mere contempt of life, you know. ;) :D

Ah yes, I recall that was one of my grandfather's favorite phrases.

Cato (Minor)

Damn. That Pliny gave me a bum steer! Sorry for confusing you with granddad.

No worries, birdboy. It happens surprisingly often!

It's hard living in the shadow of great ancestors....

You always leave the reader wanting more. Tasty appetizers making us more hungry with every tale. Love the presentation. Delivered with style and class every time.