Getting Rid Of The Smell Of Smoke

Help Please!

Last night I came very close to burning my house down. When I opened the front door I could not see the back. A pot was minutes away form going in flames. No damage and my kitties are fine.

The big problem is the strong, lingering smell of smoke. Will the smell go away soon on its own, will I have to wash every surface down or have the whole house painted?

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks so much.

Yikes! Glad to hear that everything is ok, Cathy. Unfortunately I don't know about getting rid of the smell, but I'd probably start out with scrubbing the walls and then escalate from there. Good luck!

Guest S***e

I too am glad to hear that you and your kitties are okay. I googled the problem and found a number of articles that might be of some assistance.

http://www.articlesbase.com/home-improvement-articles/getting-rid-of-the-smell-of-smoke-after-a-home-fire-1000973.html

http://life.familyeducation.com/natural-disaster-damage/home-repairs/47816.html?page=2

This might be a good place to start.

There's also mention of an ozone machine in some other articles that professional restoration companies use. Beyond that, I've no idea as to their effectiveness.

I have always found that there is no substitute for fresh air when I have to air the house out after a cooking mishap. But knowing how...err..."particular":wink: you are with your home you will probably not be satisfied with anything shy of a total cleaning...

Guest Bri*****e Da****

I had this happen to me a couple of days ago, only there was a little bit of a fire in my toaster oven. I really recommend airing your house out - open the doors and windows and get a fan going in the kitchen facing an open window or door. Since it's winter, maybe only do that while you're out of the house or sleeping so you don't get too cold. Or if you don't mind it, wrap yourself up in a warm blanket and sweater while you're home. Best of luck!

Guest m**l

BBQ Briquettes hung in stalkings throughout the house worked for me when we had our small fire. also there are products you can buy that neutralize the odor. If you call a fire restoration company they maybe able to help you with products that they use.

hope you get the stink out soon!

miel

I'm really happy to hear you all ok!

It all depends on what the smoke has soaked into.

In the worst case, in addition to repainting, carpet, bedding, draperies and clothing may need to be replaced, air duct scrubbing, etc.

Don't overlook your home insurance - if the smell seems really bad, it is a valid claim. You can crystallize you position without actually making a claim by informing your insurance agent what happened at that there may be a claim. If you don't end up making a claim, no harm no foul.

Cathy darling, I am so sorry you over cooked....it is awful, it hapened to me with a chicken and I had the smell in the whole place for weeks.....

wash the walls if they are not papered; buy the miracle liquid for getting rid of smells in dogs and cats (after a skunk fight), it is an enzyme based liquid and dilute it a little bit only and wash your carpets and curtains with it.....every surface that is safe to wash with that liquid will take the smell away....

I am glad you are safe and sound girl!

Loralee

Guest Ou**or**n

If the problem is severe consider putting in a claim on your home / tenant insurance. Professional restoration firms specialize in this sort of thing.

Thank you all for your great suggestions, turns out I will have to call the professionals. My insurance company has been very helpful and fast to respond, so hopefully my home will be smelling sweet again soon. :-D

Guest S***e

That's great Cathy as I don't relish having to wash walls with vinegar and having to paint them after. The pros have all the gear to get the job done right for you and I think that's your best bet. You might have to pack up the kitties and leave for a bit but it's worth it. All the best.

Thank you all for your great suggestions, turns out I will have to call the professionals. My insurance company has been very helpful and fast to respond, so hopefully my home will be smelling sweet again soon. :-D

Hfxdom Don't you think that, with the proper attire ( high boots,stockings,bustier, riding crop etc.) that you could "make" someone clean and paint ? They'd probably supply the paint. lol