Sign in to follow this  

self-promotion advice

I've been discussing this with some other members to get their perspectives, and I think we've come up with some good stuff.

Take a look and see if it is out of line. We feel this will help us to find our ATFs easier, they make more money, safer communication channels, more traffic on LYLA, everyone wins.

Online link: http://rizak.info/other/stories/advice01.html

Word doc: http://rizak.info/other/stories/advice01.docx

This will print as a 4-page booklet if you have it set to print on both sides, flipped along the short side.

When I was new, I carried around blank business cards and used them to give my contact info to patrons who wanted to see me again. Even that felt fairly impersonal, so I couldn't imagine handing out printed business cards.

Yes, they look more professional, but for many patrons, particularly those that become regulars, it's more about building rapport, and scribbling contact info on a napkin or piece of paper, or putting it right in your phone, feels a lot more personal than being handed one of 100 business cards.

I found that more folks got in touch with me once I stopped using the blank business cards and exchanged contact info like you would at a regular bar. Everyone wants to feel special, and IMO business cards remind you that you're not.

Overall though, I do think LYLA is a valuable promotional vehicle, though I understand why many dancers don't use it. In any case, it was nice of you to put that booklet together for curious dancers who come here!

Thanks, Bridgette. That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I mean, those are just suggestions that a few of us came up with. They may not be the best, and they may not even work. However, it's a starting point if you step back and take a look at what it is that you're trying to accomplish. Business cards seemed a logical next step when internet addresses became part of the information equation. One of the ideas was that of security through PM, so you wouldn't have to give out your phone number.

Remember that these were thought up by a group of old men who cut their internet teeth on bulletin boards, long before the age of texting and freely accessible information. Trying to get young(er) girls hip to these ideas is difficult. Sometimes security doesn't come with a shortcut.

After a brief discussion with the mod, I'm going to add a disclaimer as well, noting that this is not affiliated with the site officially. They think it's a good idea, though.

I'm certainly not a professional business promoter or a dancer manager/wrangler and it's best to push that out with the rest.

I've picked up on a few things while discussing this with some dancers.

Not everyone is going to be receptive to this. Some girls are perfectly happy with how things are going for them. So, before you get going on a full-blooded discussion on the subject, try to put out some exploratory questions about whether they feel they could be doing any better than with the guys who just happen to walk into the club at any given time.

Don't try to go over everything that is in the documentation. If they're interested, give them the pamphlet and they can read it at a later time. Don't be pushy. Don't act like you're giving them the word of god. "Have you heard the good word?"

Make a particular point of mentioning that there is no cost to them aside from a small amount of their time. You need to seem genuinely helpful, and not like a creepy salesman.

Really, that's about all I can say. See if they are interested, give them the paper to read on their own. Carry on.

NB: some club owners may not take kindly to anyone pushing anything in their club. Just be careful. Remember, this is supposed to help everyone in the long run.

Sign in to follow this