46 Years of the "Maple Leaf"

Guest W***ledi*Time

46 years ago today, on 15 February 1965, the Canadian Flag made its first appearance. I remember how utterly strange it seemed back then. Like an upstart, almost foreign, symbol ... suddenly flying where only the familiar and beloved Red Ensign had flown before.

But it's grown on me, and I suppose that it's now the case that a majority of Canadians have never saluted any flag but the Maple Leaf. So here's to Canada and her flag. Long may it stand as a symbol of how lucky we all are to share in the blessings of such a country. And also how lucky we are to share it with fellow citizens who aren't shy to wave it, and display it, with pride:

luongo_flag_514362gm-a.jpg

terry_fox.jpg

reconciliation-canadian-flag-ottawa-37.jpg

I first saw the Canadian Flag on foreign soil. I was in New York at school in February 1965, and it was flying along with all the world's flags at United Nations Plaza. Seeing it amongst all the flags was special.

I now fly it at my country home and still get a bit of a lump seeing it wave.

everytime I see the flag, it makes me smile. it is great..............

I love this thread. I have a Canadian flag flying from my flagpole in my front yard, high up in the sky for all to see as they are driving by. I am proud of this country and it's people, (but not necessarily the government), and I always feel an enormous pride when I see the flag flying. Oh....and underneath my Canadian flag, is a Molson Canadian flag, (made when Molson was still Canadian), flying a little lower than the Canadian flag, but on the same pole. Long live Canada, long live the people!!!!!:milleunenuit: